Talk

Advanced search

Hudl, kindle fire, iPad mini or laptop for almost 11 year old dd??

(11 Posts)
marne2 Sat 20-Sep-14 19:39:11

Dd1 wants a tablet for Christmas, we already have a iPad ( though this is her sisters and it often causes arguments ), we have a google net book (dh's) and a basic tablet which isn't great. We did have a PC which broke a few months ago. Dd1 wants a tablet to use apps and play minecraft but I am thinking that maybe a laptop would last her longer as she could use it for homework, she does like to type but can do this on dh's notebook.

A laptop would cost more than what we usually spend but I am tempted as it's something I could use too.

So should we get her a tablet like she has asked for, if so which one? Or should we scrape up enough money for a laptop?

ElephantsNeverForgive Sat 20-Sep-14 19:53:12

DD2 has had a laptop since she was 6, she's 13 and the one on her lap is actually her second.

It's her absolute pride and joy. She has a Nexus tablet, but it's always her lap top she returns to.

She plays SIMs obsessively (why she had a lap top to start with), writes/reads fan fiction, does her HW, school use online maths site and watches You Tube.

The cut down tablet versions of sims aren't anything like as good and I believe it's the same with minecraft, which DD1 plays on her lap top.

code Sat 20-Sep-14 21:41:22

Sound her out about the laptop. But if she's adamant she wants an ipad for easy transportation I would get that with the keyboard thingy you can plug into it. Then you have best of both worlds.

marne2 Sat 20-Sep-14 21:47:39

I was thinking 'those tablets with keyboards looked good' but they seem very expensive. Maybe we should buy a laptop for the whole family to use and then get her a cheap tablet? She likes playing minecraft but dd2 manages to get on it on the iPad and ruin it, so she wants a tablet that her sister can't touch smile.

code Sat 20-Sep-14 22:18:33

If they are fighting over the ipad specifically then I'd probably get them both the same rather than one having a cheaper or different gadget, to be honest. But not if it's unaffordable of course. I would sound her out about what she really wants.

marne2 Sat 20-Sep-14 22:20:53

I can't afford the full size iPad, dd2's was funded by a charity as she has ASD and communication problems so we didn't buy it for her as such. I'm not sure how much the iPad mini is but I might be able to stretch to one, she likes the Hudl as her friend has one but they are quite small I think?

jamtoast12 Sat 20-Sep-14 22:35:00

I'd get a laptop. Most of the homework sites schools use don't work on an iPad - I know as we have one and it's a nightmare! We'll have to get dd one next year when she's 10 as the iPad simply isn't good enough.

code Sat 20-Sep-14 22:36:04

Have a chat with her and see what she thinks, I'm sure she will be able to put you on the right path, lol. Can you get a refurbished ipad mini at a lower price??

code Sat 20-Sep-14 22:37:54

Oh well there you go, as jam said if the schools don't work on ipads a laptop will probably be best. I have to say I much prefer my Mac to DH's ipad, it's so much easier to work from. I will get an ipad mini for travelling though.

Crutchlow35 Sun 21-Sep-14 10:36:56

I don't think the kindle fire does minecraft if that helps at all.

Char060814 Mon 05-Jan-15 15:03:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now