Talk

Advanced search

Barbie vs Monster High Dolls.

(18 Posts)
PrammyMammy Wed 04-Dec-13 17:19:16

Both dd & dn have asked for monster high, various dolls.
Dd also asked for barbies. The barbies were half price in asda. A mermaid & a fairy.
I kind of like the barbies (and not only because of the price lol). DN (7) is 100% certain barbies are for babies.

Is this the case for all wee girls these days?

callmekitten Wed 04-Dec-13 17:31:15

I wouldn't even let my DD have Barbies until she was 7, so there's that. And then when she finally had some she decided that they weren't as cool as she thought. Monster High and Novi Stars dolls are much cooler in her eyes. Is it possible that your DN just doesn't care for Barbies and would prefer a different type of doll?

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 04-Dec-13 17:34:06

DD1 was asking about them last year when she was 4, she hasn't mentioned them this year although I have got her one with a horse. My 8yo niece is all about Monster High.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Wed 04-Dec-13 17:39:58

I think it's just barbie has been going for donkeys and thus far every woman says to my dd 'golly I had that when I was your age!'. She's 3 and even she's noticing that's not cool.

MissLurkalot Wed 04-Dec-13 17:45:02

Novi stars are truly awful. My dd (8) had two last Christmas and they both literally fell to pieces! Took them back to argos for a refund the day after Boxing Day.. She was so upset x

NicknameIncomplete Wed 04-Dec-13 17:45:46

My 9 yr old has had a few barbies for years but hasnt been overly bothered about them. She is obsessed with monster high.

IMO monster high is much cooler than barbie but then i am a bit of an alternative person.

jamtoast12 Wed 04-Dec-13 18:19:58

Both dds had barbies when under 5... It's very much monster high now!

KringleCandleLover Wed 04-Dec-13 18:30:50

DD7 has been mad about Monster High for the last couple of years.

She has asked Santa for more this Christmas.

If your DD and DN have asked for specific MH dolls, I'd get searching asap.

Took me 3 weeks to track down a 13 Wishes GiGi doll.

DoingItForMyself Wed 04-Dec-13 18:36:05

My DD is 7 and not really into Barbie, but loves Monster High and Equestria girls (My Little Pony spin-off).

I used to love Bratz but apparently they are a bit of a no-no on here, due to their stylised pouty 'beauty' so I'm always a bit careful buying them. M High are cool because I suppose they tap into the vampire market in a reasonably innocent way, adding a little touch of 'danger' to dolls!

DoingItForMyself Wed 04-Dec-13 18:38:04

Yes, as Kringle says, 13 Wishes are the new style, although my DD is happy with any of the range, Sweet 1600 or photo day.

Doitnicelyplease Wed 04-Dec-13 19:06:48

Monster High does seem to be more trendy right now - I do think it is aimed more at 6/7 yo than 4/5, it seems a shame that young girls should be dismissing Barbie as babyish. My DD1 is really only old enough now at 5 yo to really enjoy and play with barbies (changing their clothes, making up stories etc).

It seems similar to something I read on here once, how parents buy their 2 year olds disney princess dress up, so that by the time they are 4/5 and should be the perfect age for it they view it as babyish. Seems a real shame, like we are rushing our kids to grow up.

Personally I try and wait until my DDs are old enough to play properly with (and appreciate) toys - I do probably overthink it though and I do realise that my DD2 will grow up quicker and be exposed to more things than DD1 was.

PrammyMammy Wed 04-Dec-13 19:13:31

My dd is 4. Lol. The mermaid & fairy barbie are hers. She also has a couple of monsters but I can't remember which - one flashes.
We got dn(7) the headless headmistress and her horse. Lol. That's what spurred the baby conversation. Barbie and pony is just not cool anymore.

I haven't even heard of novi stars yet.

PatTheHammer Wed 04-Dec-13 19:17:23

My DD (7) is Monsters High all the way. Something weird about Barbie. When she did have Barbie's she used to 'customise' them a bit, she doesn't do that with the MH dolls as they are pretty strange already. She loves Harry Potter and all things like werewolves and zombies so I think the MH dolls appeal to her more.

Bratz dolls are very weird, the size of the heads is freaky.

One thing I do dislike about any Barbie product or similar doll is the sheer amount of packaging they come in. It takes about 15 minutes with a pair of scissors to extract them from the plastic and then you end up with loads of stuff that has to be separated carefully for recycling.

HeadlessHeadmistress Wed 04-Dec-13 19:18:01

DD who is 6 is monster high mad. She says Barbies are too "girly girl" and monster high are much cooler.

Hulababy Wed 04-Dec-13 19:19:40

I know several 6/7 year olds who play with Barbie, and some who have Monster High, and others who have both. I don't think, from what I overhear on the clasroom/playground, any say "Barbie is for babies" though- just a slightly different doll. I know much older girls who still enjoy Barbies - so def not for babies there.

But you alwys hve some children who will declare anything they don't like as "for babies" or in some way inferior.

Dontletthemgetyoudown Wed 04-Dec-13 19:25:11

Dd1 is 7 and it's all about monster high and my little pony equestria. She likes bratzillas too which are the bratz version of monster high and on special offer in toys r us.

sparkysparkysparky Mon 17-Nov-14 11:39:03

If you can suppress your cringes about pouty bootilicious Monster High dolls they are quite fun. The movies make vague attempts to promote diversity. A bit lame but something to talk about if you want to. 13 wishes Wii game is a good laugh too. Having watched "It was alright in the 70s" this weekend ( born mid 60s), I was reminded of the dreadful sexist and rascist stuff my generation of 7 yr olds was exposed to on prime time telly. Much worse than MH

wigglesrock Mon 17-Nov-14 11:59:55

Monster High, Ever After High and Zombie Princess dolls are all the rage in our house. Barbies were never that big in our house. I've 3 daughters (the second one is 7) and she's quite into the ones I've mentioned and the MLP rocks dolls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now