Talk

Advanced search

Bamboozled by bikes!!!

(17 Posts)
partytime2 Thu 21-Nov-13 23:40:04

Dd wants a bike. She is 7 at Xmas and has a 14" at the moment. It's knocking her knees now so she needs a bigger size. She came off stabilisers only a few months ago. So do I go for 16 or 18"??

Also, brands. She likes an Avigo puppy pets one exclusive to Toys r us. But I'm reluctant and would prefer to go for a good make like Raleigh. Has anyone bought bikes from Toys r Us and can share what their thoughts are? As I said, I'm bamboozled : ((

partytime2 Fri 22-Nov-13 00:11:58

Have just taken a peep at Isla bikes. I don't think I am going down that route as dd wants a more girly bike. As she is only just learning I am not wanting to go too serious too quickly. But I'm unsure which other brands are good? Raleigh, Concept?? Are toys r us etc awful? I was never allowed a bike so feel out of my depth. Thanks so much for any words of wisdom!

Felix90 Fri 22-Nov-13 00:20:33

Do you live near a Decathlon? Their bikes are brilliant and you get a lot for your money. OH is a cyclist and got a great deal on his first road bike from there (he would have paid a lot more elsewhere for something of the same standard/quality). Their staff are very knowledgable about bikes too. I'd avoid places like Toys R Us as they won't have a clue about bikes at all and you'll end up paying through the nose.

Alternatively try a local cycle shop or somewhere like Halfords and they should be able to sort you out.

CrotchStitch Fri 22-Nov-13 10:12:47

DS had a Raleigh which was great, sturdy, well made and appealing to look at as well as bloody expensive
The problem was that it was so well made it (relatively!) weighed a ton and when you are still a bit wobbly you just don't need the extra effort of trying to get going.
TBH if I could do it again I would buy a cheap bike from Tesco or similar. That way it can be dropped, fell off, and generally abused without you watching and thinking "god, that's another couple of quid knocked off the resale value" every time she puts it down a little less than delicately grin

soontobeslendergirl Fri 22-Nov-13 10:35:05

Cheap bikes tend to be made of steel which is heavy - the cheap components make it harder to cycle as well. An aluminium frame is what you want to look for.

Something like Isla bikes will definitely be easier for her to cycle, but personaly I didn't have the kind of money they were looking for and therefore searched on-line for sales etc.

That said, the resale value of an Isla bike and other decent makes is really good whereas on a cheap bike you should really be thinking that you are not going to be able to sell it on.

I'd have thought at your daughters age (unless she is very tiny) that you'd be looking at a 20 in wheel as long as there is decent movement in the seat and to step through the frame. My boys are tall but were happy in that size from age 5.

In terms of makes, I'd be looking at something like Saracen, Cube, Trek, Ridgeback or Specialized or probably a lot more that I can't remember.

What's your budget?

mabelbabel Fri 22-Nov-13 10:53:00

An average 7 year old would be on a 20" bike. In fact she may well find it less wobbly and gain confidence more quickly, as long as she can put her feet down. It would be worth measuring her inside leg and height as most brands will recommend a bike size based on these measurements.
Decathlon is a good recommendation if you can get to one.
Also, although I wouldn't generally recommend Halfords for bikes, their carrera bikes for kids are worth considering, eg the Carrera Luna 20, would be a good quality bike and still a bit girly. You could add a basket etc if you wanted.
What's you budget?

mabelbabel Fri 22-Nov-13 11:15:18

The bikes I particularly like when buying my daughter's 20" bike were the 20" girls bikes from Specialized, Ridgeback and Giant. I like the Carrera, the only thing which put me off was the front suspension. Islabikes are more expensive, but retain their value well. I also came across Frog Bikes when I was looking. They look like a similar type of bike to Islabikes, though slightly cheaper. Second-hand value untested as they're relatively new.

It's worth looking at Ebay, you can sometimes find real bargains and barely used kids bikes. I'd rather buy a good quality second-hand bike than a cheaper new one. You could always add some nice new accessories.

partytime2 Fri 22-Nov-13 20:50:31

Thanks everyone. Some good tips to think about. The problem I have is that her current one is very very sparkly, pink and girly. It's a Raleigh and has tassels etc. (not my choice but she loves it). She would be disappointed if I went from that to a really plain bike. She actually fell in love with an Avigo bike which is toys r us!!! Budget is about 120£ anyway as it's only one present amongst many others. Thanks for your advice!!! Will look up the brands mentioned.

soontobeslendergirl Fri 22-Nov-13 21:14:48

I've just looked that bike up - imo it's far too small you'd be throwing your money away.

Lucylouby Fri 22-Nov-13 21:18:16

My 7 year old is getting a 20" bike for Christmas. We got one in the halfords sale, half price. It was still over £100 and I'm hopeful it will last her a few years now, till she needs an adult size bike. We did go into halfords with her to have a look and she sat on a couple. Even though all the bikes she tried were a 20" some of them were bigger than others and she couldn't manage to get on some of them, others were to heavy for her, so that had to be a consideration for us when picking which one to get.

LittleMissGreen Fri 22-Nov-13 21:20:35

ds is 7 and average height. he is too short for20 inch wheels. Id be careful with Raleigh as they are very heavy but it depends what she is using it for. Up and down flat road less of an issue than if you go on 20mile offroad cycles with lots of hills.

Taffeta Fri 22-Nov-13 21:23:33

Second the Decathlon recommendation, DDs bike from there, v pleased with it.

soontobeslendergirl Fri 22-Nov-13 21:51:50

Just looked at the decathalon ones, this one would seem to fit your purposes.

www.decathlon.co.uk/mistigirl-3-id_8170566.html

the lightweight aluminium ones were coming in at 10-11kgs - the steel ones were over 14kgs

At 11.5 kgs this one seems pretty good and is sickly sweet and girly grin

partytime2 Sat 23-Nov-13 00:26:53

Thanks once more. Soontobe - that's a lovely bike you found - thank you!!! Might go to Halfords to sit her on an 18 and 20" to see which is best fit. I know yr right about the cheap ones in shops like toys r us and will resist her telling me how much she likes them ; )). Sometimes us mums know best!!

pollykane Sun 12-Mar-17 12:26:10

Does anyone have a girls 20" bike that they want to sell?. I am loathe to spend a fortune on a new one and
there must be second hand ones around obviously I will try ebay but just wondered if anyone local read this and has one they need to get rid off?

Girlsinthegarden Sun 16-Apr-17 22:08:20

I found ours on Facebook marketplace. Good luck!

MimsyFluff Tue 25-Apr-17 00:47:47

we get ours from a cycle hire we buy at the end of winter or early spring because the bikes won’t have been used much in the winter DD1 7 got a felt hard tail for £100 that was only a few months old! but they always have cheaper bikes starting at around £35. DD1 goes mountain biking so needed a solid bike.

DD2 6 has the bike linked up thread from ebay perfect condition for £40 it's really stable because it's so long. I love that bike more than DD2 and she loves loves it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now