any ideas for a whole 'family' gift?

(31 Posts)
YellowCanary1 Sat 09-Nov-13 21:51:05

Both dh and i come from large families, even just buying for kids gets very expensive! This year instead of spending 5- 10 pounds on each family member I'd like to buy family gifts. Can anyone share ideas for around 20-50 pounds each? Families all have children between 2 and 10 years.
So far;
Board games
Picnic sets and walking books

Thats it!
Can anyone help?

JemimaPuddle Sat 09-Nov-13 21:51:55

Hamper of favourite snacks/treats?

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 09-Nov-13 21:53:28

You can can hampers of sweets, including 'old fashioned' ones.
Everyone likes sweets, no?!

meditrina Sat 09-Nov-13 21:54:08

I think games they canplay together is by far and away the best option. They the Doctor Who 50th anniversary games, spin offs from TBBT, Pucket, or perhaps buy a space hopper each?

RedPencils Sat 09-Nov-13 21:54:33

I saw a gift experience in costco today for indoor sky diving, £40 for 4 people. Was thinking for my sis's family. They have teens.

PoppyWearer Sat 09-Nov-13 21:54:48

Cinema vouchers/bowling vouchers/meal vouchers/Merlin vouchers.

(help them to make some memories?)

Board games are a great idea.

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 09-Nov-13 21:54:50

Family friendly film on DVD - and some popcorn to go with it

National Trust membership

Cinema tickets

NationMcKinley Sat 09-Nov-13 21:55:44

We're doing similar this year so I'll be watching this thread! Another idea is a family film they can all watch together along with popcorn and maybe a nice blanket they can all curl up underneath? (I bought blankets / throws for several people a few years ago and they were really popular). TKMaxx do great ones

NationMcKinley Sat 09-Nov-13 21:56:35

X post Home! Great minds etc etc grin

artyanklet Sat 09-Nov-13 21:56:37

I was going to suggest bowling vouchers - we are off tomorrow evening for a treat, 5 of us, 3 games for £6 each. Bargain!

notso Sat 09-Nov-13 21:58:27

Cinema tickets with popcorn and snacks,
Meal voucher,
Tickets to a local attraction,
Garden games like giant Jenga etc,

Somanychanges Sat 09-Nov-13 21:59:19

Oh I was thinking board game too. There are so many great games out there. I love playing a board game with my DH and DC and would be over the moon to get one for Christmas. Especially as some of them are quite pricey so nice to get as a present.

YellowCanary1 Sat 09-Nov-13 21:59:33

Its just got ridiculous for us now, we have 48 direct family members betwern us to buy for! Really appreciate the ideas. I want to do thoughtful, appreciated gifts, not just buying for buyings sake if that makes sense!

NorbertDentressangle Sat 09-Nov-13 22:01:46

An "evening in" hamper with things like a DVD, popcorn, sweets, drinks etc

Vouchers for the cinema, theatre, outdoor adventure place (eg. Go Ape)

Membership to a local place of interest (depending on age of children it could be farm park, zoo, National Trust type place)

Membership to a DVD rental service

fuzzpig Sat 09-Nov-13 22:02:09

I think in a movie hamper type gift an hmv voucher might be better than an actual DVD - you might not know their taste or what they've already got

notso Sat 09-Nov-13 22:02:17

A personalised picture would be nice. They have lovely ones on NotintheHighstreet.

notso Sat 09-Nov-13 22:04:57

Tickets to soft play for little DC and a voucher towards a meal for their parents, you could make up some babysitting vouchers to if you wanted.

bsc Sat 09-Nov-13 22:09:52

contraception? wink

grin @ bsc

Great ideas here. Am watching with interest.

TopHatAndTails Sat 09-Nov-13 22:28:23

A big tin of biscuits and a mug each. You can get kids mugs from the pound shop and nice adult ones occasionally or they are fairly cheap in the supermarkets.

Floralnomad Sat 09-Nov-13 22:33:17

If I'm buying for 'family' friends I get a nice tin of sweets or biscuits and get each family member a pair of Christmas socks .

Vatta Sat 09-Nov-13 23:12:14

I gave my elder sidter's family a baking set a few years ago - cookie cutters, baking tray, all the dry ingredients for cookies, recipe book. They all made biscuits together, seemed to enjoy it. Her dds would have been 6 and 8 then.

invicta Sat 09-Nov-13 23:18:07

Family portrait voucher
Membership to English heritage/national trust/local attraction
Adopt an animal
Bird feeding stuff

Misty9 Sun 10-Nov-13 11:19:57

A bee house (type with tubes in) with some wildflower seeds and book about bees (doing this for brother's family, 3.5yo nephew)

Madamecastafiore Sun 10-Nov-13 11:24:37

Linkee and Dobble are fab family games.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now