Talk

Advanced search

Best audiobooks and/or music CDs for soon-to-be 7 year old getting her first CD player?

(30 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Nov-13 22:56:05

What have your DDs loved?

TIA smile

ScariestFairyByFar Mon 04-Nov-13 23:01:31

Harry potter.

ScariestFairyByFar Mon 04-Nov-13 23:02:09

And some pop party hell album

IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Nov-13 23:14:40

Is 7 old enough for HP? She's quite easily scared!

RueDeWakening Mon 04-Nov-13 23:15:52

DD (6.5 yrs) loves her Roald Dahl audio books, if that's any help? And listens to pop rubbish, mostly, but via DH's spotify account so it's nothing to do with me grin

Clr2014 Tue 05-Nov-13 09:36:53

Mr gumm by Andy Stanton is hilarious.

ScariestFairyByFar Tue 05-Nov-13 12:53:35

I'd have thought the first couple would be ok at 7. Roald Dahl would be great to

Clutterbugsmum Tue 05-Nov-13 13:03:34

The book people 10 Julia Donaldson book/CD's for £9.99 at the moment.

Or What about classic ones like The Secret garden, Tom Midnight Garden.

ThePigOfHappiness Tue 05-Nov-13 13:03:40

I'm doing the same for dd1, she is very dyslexic but loves stories and I think audiobooks would be a great way for her to enjoy books. Thinking Roald Dahl, HP, Judy moody, spider wick chronicles
I've also picked up some CDs on offer, jls, one direction, justin beiber etc

SpookedMackerel Tue 05-Nov-13 13:07:43

Dd is a bit younger, but she likes Ronald Dahl, Dick King Smith, Jill Tomlinson, Just William books. But her favourite is a CD called James Herriot Treasury for children. Short stories about a vet. The cover looks unpromising, but it is actually very good.

WillColbert Tue 05-Nov-13 13:14:40

At that age DS loved Stig of the Dump. Don't make the mistake I made and get the Horrid Henry ones read by Miranda Richardson - screechtastic! (Although he loved them and listened to them for years).

JoyceDivision Tue 05-Nov-13 13:14:52

Best of Disney?
I try to not let DD have the poop party or Now CDS as they usually have some stuff onthere I'm not comfortable with DD listening to.

However, she hums along very enthusiatically to Acid Brass!!

IHeartKingThistle Tue 05-Nov-13 13:17:39

Some great ideas - thankyou! Mackerel DH and I love the James Herriot books so that would be brilliant.

wonderingsoul Tue 05-Nov-13 14:07:02

ds1 got the whole of roald darl on aduo.. it came ina nice little tine for £30 of ebay. ill have alook to see if i can find them.

he listen to them when he goes to bed. and love it. the book people are also doing the grufflo collection £9.99
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=435116&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&searchTerm=the+gruffalo+cd theres 10 cds and 10 books. iv just ordered this for my sons birthday in a couple of days as he listened to all his roal darl one loads.

wonderingsoul Tue 05-Nov-13 14:11:51

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roald-Dahl-Audio-Books-on-27-cds-/121204852333?pt=UK_Books_Audiobooks_AudioBooks_GL&hash=item1c385f466d this is the roalh darl adio ones, they have quite a few.

can also vouvh for best of disney. lovely songs a good collection.

Clutterbugsmum Tue 05-Nov-13 14:18:30

Wounderingsoul, My dc have the Roald Dahl cd set for years. And they love it.

DD1 also had Beatrix Potter set as well, although I have to say DS doesn't enjoy it as much. He prefers the alien/dinosaur love Underpant one's more,

Thereisaplace Tue 05-Nov-13 17:50:54

My 7 year old still likes Winnie the Pooh read by Alan Bennett and Paddington Bear read by Stephen Fry. Older dd loves Just William read by Martin Jarvis.

3bunnies Tue 05-Nov-13 19:40:41

Lemony Snicket and Narnia popular with my nearly 7yr old.

tassisssss Tue 05-Nov-13 22:43:56

Mr Gum, Malory Towers, Roald Dahl, The Naughtiest Girl in the School, One Direction...

MrsCakesPremonition Tue 05-Nov-13 22:45:26

There are some good Paddington stories available. Also Famous 5.

Catmint Tue 05-Nov-13 22:53:40

DD ( 7 this month) loves on audio

The owl who was afraid of the dark

All Roald Dahl

Worst witch series ( knows this off by heart)

Diary of a killer cat ( or something similar) by Anne Fine

Bedtime stories read by Johnny Morris

I have bought her audio of Ballet Shoes for her birthday, and Mog the forgetful cat, which is a bit young, but we all love those stories and I think it will help her get to sleep.

lookout Wed 06-Nov-13 08:44:57

There's a nice Disney song compilation that ds1 has and loves. Also another vote for Mr gum. We never tire of it!!

MrsCF Wed 06-Nov-13 18:17:01

We have been reading/ listening to David Walliams stories, my DD is nearly 6 and has been loving them, she doesn't get some references, but the important thing is its entertains the adults in the car too as that's where we listen to most CDs.
She also loves the Clarice Bean stories, which are really well read by the mum out of Outnumbered (can't remember her name).

BikeRunSki Wed 06-Nov-13 18:45:17

We have the Roald Dahl audio books. They are fantastic. Got is from Yorkshire to Cornwall last summer with ds (then nearly 5) and dd (then 18 months) without a peep. They are read by proper actors too, so don't get too annoying for grown ups.

oneofeach2010 Wed 06-Nov-13 19:53:45

IHeartKingThistle can I ask what CD player you have bought, as we are doing this for our DD when she turns 5 in February.

My DCs really like listening to "Wind in the Willows" the Radio 4 recording, and "Percy the Park Keeper" stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now