Talk

Advanced search

Christmas at Longleat

(21 Posts)
Hatecoffee Fri 23-Aug-13 19:22:17

We are thinking about going to Longleat for their Christmas special.

Has anyone been? Can I have some tips?

We are hoping to go for the day but not sure how to time it etc...safari first, Santa train and then the rest of the park? Just unsure if the day will be slightly to long if we try and wait the the owl show.

Have a DS with autism so trying to plan ahead for him and get it as perfect as possible!

Katieweasel Fri 23-Aug-13 20:11:25

We went to Longleat last year and it was amazing. We go fairly regularly so concentrated mainly on the extra Christmas bits. The house is decorated and full of fairytale characters. The musical Christmas Tree is just beautiful. We also did the ice skating which we all really enjoyed. We went late afternoon as it seemed much more magical in the dark. They had ride on seals for the children who can't skate. They only had around 6 so you have to get there early for your time slot to get one. We have done the Christmas Train in the past and although it is lovely it is very expensive when you have to add it onto the cost of getting in. A lovely day out though. Would highly recommend x

Hatecoffee Fri 23-Aug-13 20:22:27

Thanks katie did you do the safari? What time did it all finish in the night?

Katieweasel Fri 23-Aug-13 20:53:09

We didn't do the safari at xmas. DH won't take his car around in case it gets damaged! We went again in May and went on the safari bus. I think it was £4 extra each but really worth it as the bus driver knew lots about the animals. However it took nearly 2 hours to get around. I would do it early to beat the crowds. We tend to arrive as soon as it opens. Park and then go straight to the safari boats. These are really popular and the queues can get huge so do this first. You can fed the seals off the side of the boat and it takes you around the island with the gorillas. I think our skating slot was at six. Top hint if doing this is to take spare socks as ours got soaked! We then watched the tree show before going home. Not sure when the park shuts though.

Mckayz Sat 24-Aug-13 06:55:08

We went to Longleat a couple of years ago and it was amazing. The train ride was really nice, they got a lovely present and the safari was really good.

We'd go every year if we lived closer.

Hatecoffee Sat 24-Aug-13 13:22:05

Thank you for your replies. I think it's a must as it looks and sounds great.
Do you book the skating before or on the day? Can't seem to find it on their website.

Iwantacat Sat 21-Sep-13 12:57:58

We've booked and the skating tickets are not available yet but will be closer to the time. Can't wait to go, DCs are animal crazy and the Santa train will be the icing on the cake I hope.

Rosvita Sat 21-Sep-13 14:05:37

I'm just waiting until pay day arrives to book.Not been for their christmas event before but has great reviews (much better than paulton's park christmas event which was an alternative we were looking at).

Lurleene Sat 21-Sep-13 17:40:23

We went last year and it was lovely, however we did take our car through the safari and sustained a lot of damage. I think that as there are less cars and the monkeys are cold they target the cars with a bit more ruthlessness than usual!

My favourite part was the house, it looked magical.

Rosvita Sat 21-Sep-13 19:32:16

So when's best to book the train and skating for to make the best use of the day?

Katieweasel Sat 21-Sep-13 19:39:04

Definitely recommend doing the skating once it's dark. Much more magical!

Rosvita Sat 21-Sep-13 19:41:25

Ok thank you so I'll book the train for 10.30/11ish then, do safari/house etc in the middle then skating later on once slots become available.

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Sat 21-Sep-13 19:46:11

We had an amazing time BUT the ice skating was a bit shambolic. There were too many people and not nearly enough seals. DS was only 4 and they didn't have skates to fit him. I think they start at a size 10 so watch out for that

Katieweasel Sat 21-Sep-13 19:52:23

If you get there 15 mins before your skating slot you should be able to get a seal. They only have about six and it's first come first served. Also take spare socks. The changing room floor is soaking wet and the first year we ended up with freezing cold wet feet!

Rosvita Sat 21-Sep-13 19:53:17

Ok thanks - yes we'll need a seal with a 4 year old and nearly 3 year old. Thanks for the tips!

dadof3squirts Sat 06-Dec-14 15:47:57

Has anyone been to Longleat this Christmas. I've seen alot of positive comments about 2012 but nothing since. We went to Wookey hole last year which was fab. Looking for a change this year

BeyondRepair Sat 06-Dec-14 19:21:05

Yes we went but it might be too late for santa train now?

it was magical and wonderful and I was thrilled with it.

marne2 Sat 06-Dec-14 20:25:24

Apparently the train is not running this year due to several faults, not sure how true this is but I heard this in the playground ( we live local to longleat ), a few people seem too be a little disappointed this year sad. The lights look brilliant from what I have seen on local news but a bit different to previous years.

marne2 Sat 06-Dec-14 20:26:08

Either that or they have changed the way the train ride is done.

BeyondRepair Sat 06-Dec-14 20:30:37

we got the train marne it was all running and fine and lovely. it was magical. I cant imagine how it could have been better...

marne2 Sat 06-Dec-14 21:10:19

When did you go Beyond? Someone said the train crashed again last week ( not sure when and not sure if this is true ), I hope it is still running as that's probably the best bit smile glad you had a great time, we love longleat but have never been at Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now