I'm nervous about starting this early....

(6 Posts)
SocialButterfly Tue 30-Jul-13 12:41:30

I need to spead the cost and stress of Christmas shopping, however I'm nervous people will either buy the things I have bought them themselves between now and Christmas or that the children will change what they want and won't get the presents they want on Christmas Day.
Am I over thinking it? Has this happened to anyone who started early?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 30-Jul-13 12:59:07

I'm always envy of people who do their Christmas Gift shopping mega early.
But as my DC change their minds a gazillion times I don't buy their presents until late November (DS birthday is December) so we give him a couple of more ££ for his birthday then smaller ones for Christmas (so he gets a bigger pile of presents)

I do as much as my food/wrapping/decorations in advance.
You could ask people what they want then buy them something (but don't tell them exactly) then hopefully they won't buy the same?

WRT to the expense- can you save in a seperate account, buy as much as you can online then pay with a credit card (to protect your purchases) then you'll have the money to pay it off?

50shadesofknackered Tue 30-Jul-13 16:38:17

Just save some money each month. That way you're spreading the cost but you can buy all the presents closer to christmas. That's what I do, I have a separate christmas savings account and i put money away each month and then buy all my presents beginning of December.

chanie44 Sat 03-Aug-13 10:43:11

I tend to have a list of people I need to buy for and I jot down ideas when I'm inspired. You don't have to buy everything early, but you can aim to get as much as you reasonably can.

Examples
I get stocking fillers for the children. It's stuff like pjs, bubble bath, small toys and books. Stuff they cant really change their minds about. I get main presents nearer the time.

I also get the presents for the people you buy for that aren't close family eg
In getting Dd's nursery teacher a scarf which is currently half price, the children's godfather is getting a cookery book or earphones - last year it was a travel mug.

Oh and I focus on presents for the children, but we do stockings for each other. I buy him things like socks, DVDs, DIY tools, torch, memory stick.

WaitingForMe Tue 06-Aug-13 08:10:52

We buy my stepsons their toys fairly late but I buy for their stockings early as I put in a lot of practical bits like new flannels, bubble bath etc. I also buy a fair bit from the bargains threads. Last year they both got Star Wars dressing gowns that cost £5.

It's a tradition in my family to have table gifts. Last year it cost me £3-4 per person and there were 10 of us. This year I found something perfect for £1 each. That makes a massive difference.

Mumsnet is amazing for ideas. A few of us bought our DHs bags made from car tyres one year and my DH declared it his favourite ever present. I would NEVER have thought of putting that into Google!

daisychicken Tue 06-Aug-13 08:19:44

I buy stocking fillers and clothes for my dc throughout the year and put away, I buy for other children and adults throughout the year. Then once September is here, I start looking at main presents for my dc. When they were younger, it was easier as there wasn't really anything they wanted. Now, I tend to ask for ideas (they know I buy presents and we stick with FC doing the stockings..... wink ) and then I look around to find the best deals.

So far, never had a problem!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now