Talk

Advanced search

Random q to those with outdoor lights...

(11 Posts)
Rosvita Mon 24-Dec-12 12:31:08

Where do you plug them in?have never had any outdoor lights due to cost (initial outlay and worry about electricity cost) but have seen some lovely led icicle lights (you know the ones you just run along the top of across the front of the house) reduced right down online and was considering getting them for next year but realised I don't know the first thing about installing them ie how to attach them or where to plug them in-surely you don't need to put the lead through the window to plug in?! If it's going to be a nightmare I'll just leave it but know the kids would love to have lights next year.thanks in advance and happy christmas.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Mon 24-Dec-12 13:57:11

our cable is through the side bit of a window (the window is shut properly and is clamping the cable in place and we are praying it doesnt cut right through it!) and plugged into a socket in our converted garage/playroom. Before we converted the garage the cable fed through the gap between the wall and the garage door. We use gutter hooks to hang the lights along the front gutter above our bay window

slatternlymother Mon 24-Dec-12 14:09:50

We have a socket outside which was installed when we moved here.

WildThongonthesparklytree Mon 24-Dec-12 21:16:13

Same as dishwashervodka for me

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 24-Dec-12 21:17:14

DH installed an outdoor plug. I have a switch in the kitchen to turn them on and off

headfairy Mon 24-Dec-12 21:19:00

I have solar outdoor lights so they're not plugged in at all. The downside is that on crappy rainy days like today they only stay on for about an hour after sunset.

Ponders Mon 24-Dec-12 21:21:10

I passed a terraced house the other day that had a proper outside socket (or 2), with waterproof cover, on the angled side bit of the bay window

probably not a huge job to get those put in (though not on C Eve grin) - an internal socket could have a spur taken through the outside wall - the reverse of bringing a TV/Sky aerial in

Startail Mon 24-Dec-12 21:26:44

Various methods here. Some go out the corner of DD2s room window.
Some out the end of our pantry that's window doesn't fit properly anyway and some off a proper outdoor socket on the end of the shed (used for the shredder in summer).

Startail Mon 24-Dec-12 21:27:58

They are on timers so no one has to wake DD, go into freezing pantry (I said the window doesn't fit) or out in the rain.

judefawley Mon 24-Dec-12 21:31:55

At the front we have lights on a bay tree. The cable goes through the wall to a plug in d/s loo.

At the back we have solar fairy lights on a couple of trees, but they are shite.

Rosvita Mon 24-Dec-12 21:48:49

Thanks for replies ladies.will inspect outside of the house after Xmas and see if it's easily do-able at ours (I can be quite lazy with sorting those kind if things!) then hopefully get some in the sale for next year.merry christmas everyone -have a good one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: