Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! Ideas for what to buy male friend (gay) who's quite particular!

(18 Posts)
Troubleintmill Thu 20-Dec-12 22:24:10

I don't want to spend a fortune. Just a token. Known each other for a long time but in the past year have become closer. Would like to let him know I appreciate his friebdship.
Any ideas appreciated! Thanks

PatsysPyjamas Thu 20-Dec-12 22:30:33

What is he interested in? Men tend to like v specific things, in my experience.

BitofSparklingPerry Thu 20-Dec-12 22:33:25

When you say 'gay', do you mean just fancies men, or do you mean massively camp?

How old?

What kind of stle does he dress in? Music?

peeriebear Thu 20-Dec-12 22:35:36

Possibly a sweeping generalisation here, but most gay men I know love the odd bit of kitsch. A couple of years ago I bought DH's 'mum' a vintage style wind-up robot that you wound up by sharpening pencils in his back smile Cheap but funny and entertaining. He bought us a Yoda cookie jar!

JennyPiccolo Thu 20-Dec-12 22:36:44

Molton brown black pepper shower gel? It's the sex.

JennyPiccolo Thu 20-Dec-12 22:40:19

I bought my best friend those sock suspenders that men wore in old school movies so that he could frolic about in the nip wearing socks and suspenders, drinking brandy, but I appreciate that might be a niche gift.

OR one year I bought him silver armbands to wear over a shirt, they are kind of cool if he likes that kind of vintage style.

JennyPiccolo Thu 20-Dec-12 22:41:58

Really I think all men appreciate sort of old fashioned manly gifts. Whisky glasses, pringle socks, shaving brush and lovely soap type thing.

Does it matter that he's gay? Do gay men like different kinds of gifts?

Agree that MB Black Pepper is gorgeous but it costs more than a token.

Food? Drink? Cufflinks? Paul Smith socks if you're feeling rich.

Lots of cute little hip flasks around at the mo too - that and a little bottle of his tipple of choice maybe?

EmmaNess Thu 20-Dec-12 22:56:52

Tom Daley calendar. If he doesn't like it, he's straight.

xkcdfangirl Thu 20-Dec-12 23:05:20

Get him this book?

Kirstoll Fri 21-Dec-12 00:14:32

My (gay) cousin- is very flamboyant, rather than a 'manly man' (know im madly generalising but please forgive me) But he v much appreciated cuff links for last Xmas! Just plain ones with a lite multicoloured jigsaw piece on. We're under a tenner if I remember correctly! Happy hunting!!

Troubleintmill Fri 21-Dec-12 07:32:24

Yes, gay as in fancies men and really not camp at all!
Age - mid 30's.

It doesn't matter he's gay at all but I do think he would like a different type of gift to a straight man. Especially a manly straight man.

He's very artistic and sophisticated.

There's some good ideas and I'll check out the Molton brown but I was thinking a more niche gift really.

Thanks for your help.

Taffeta Fri 21-Dec-12 07:48:01

On phone can't do links, try panik design. They have loads of niche designer stuff, cost varies drastically dependent what you buy, I could spend hours on their website. Or try refound objects, quirky.

midnightinmoscow Fri 21-Dec-12 08:37:09

Pantone mug?

Phineyj Fri 21-Dec-12 08:43:45

Try www.notonthehighstreet.co.uk

www.notonthehighstreet.com/beckett-beckett/product/camper (this is fun - epecially if he's <not> camp.

If in London, the Festival Hall shop (the one outside the building in the street of cafes) or the Science Museum shop are good.

How much do you want to spend?

An art print?

Agree that REfound have some nice things, but it's probably too late for delivery now.

A huge cheese and some posh crackers?

roguepixie Fri 21-Dec-12 09:09:59

This is probably been considered and maybe an overdone present but a beautiful scented candle? They come in lovely scents and in their own jars and look lovely anywhere?

John Lewis have some very nice 'sets' of pates/chutneys etc - don't know if he's a foodie or not?

Bottle of champagne?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now