Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just need a little reassurance...

(14 Posts)
ImpetuousImp Thu 20-Dec-12 17:15:51

I've just invited my friend and her son (best friend to one of my dc) to spend Christmas Day with us. She is going through a messy marriage breakdown and would be on her own with her little boy at Christmas. I invited her when she told me this, and she cried with relief. sad

Now I'm worrying that the rest of my family will be a bit bemused about it, even though they are all v kind and polite - we are used to v close family Christmases. I know I've done the right thing and I'm genuinely looking forward to her and her ds being here - but I just feel a bit bad that I've put my family in an awkward position, IYSWIM?

I either feel between a rock and a hard place or deeply uncharitable. I really hope this post doesn't make me sound mean but that someone understands why I feel a bit nervous. Please reassure me.

DoubleMum Thu 20-Dec-12 17:28:45

We have only family Christmases but a couple of times I've invited a Japanese colleague/friend who would have had nowhere to go for Christmas. Nobody seemed to mind.

PandaWatch Thu 20-Dec-12 17:35:10

I think that's a lovely gesture OP. Just explain the situation to the rest of your family in advance. We nearly always have just family at Christmas but had one of my BiL's friends one year because he was going to be on his own. It would be extremely un-Christmassy of anyone in your family to object!

Not sure why your family would feel awkward. It was lovely of you and I'm sure your friend will just blend in with whatever your family get up to. It would be worth having a board game or the Wii ready for something that everybody can get involved in without feeling the need for small

talk, maybe.

Sorry - it sent before I'd finished!

ImpetuousImp Thu 20-Dec-12 20:20:10

Thank you. I feel more relaxed about it now smile We'll all have a lovely day together, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it knowing that she was on her own. Family will be happy to welcome them too, I just got a bit wobbly about it!

Really appreciate your comments thanks

nappydaysagain Thu 20-Dec-12 21:58:03

Ahh what a lovely gesture OP and I'm sure it means a lot to your friend smile

flossy101 Thu 20-Dec-12 21:59:47

What a nice thing of you to do. I always think more the merrier on Christmas Day. smile

steppemum Thu 20-Dec-12 22:12:11

really nice of you to do that, I am sure your family will rise to the occasion. I suggest you let them know so it isn't a surprise

lovely idea. I have invited a friend who will be on her own too!

NoSoggyBottoms Thu 20-Dec-12 22:24:48

Wonderful for you to invite her and her son, sounds like you've made their Christmas! grin

I'm sure your family will understand. No one should be alone at Christmas imo.

Merry Christmas!

WholeLottaRosie Thu 20-Dec-12 22:33:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gingerpinz Fri 21-Dec-12 08:07:41

Such a lovely thing to do, hope you all have a fantastic time!

HavingAnOffDAy Fri 21-Dec-12 10:02:29

thanks for you OP - what a lovely thing to have done.

You've made me a bit teary with your kindness blush

omaoma Fri 21-Dec-12 10:07:55

Fab thing to do. well done! Tell your family that you've invited a close friend who is wonderful, and her child who is your son's best friend and adorable, so you could all spend Christmas together this year, and you're sure they'll love them to. Job done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now