Talk

Advanced search

dd2 present dilemma

(8 Posts)
bringonyourwreckingball Wed 19-Dec-12 07:10:47

Dd2 is 4 and 'gets' Christmas this year properly. She got a bit overwhelmed when she wrote her letter to Father Christmas though and only said she wanted playmobil (which she is getting). Since then she has decided she wants a 'little chair' and has been talking about it constantly, wondering how FC will get it down the chimney etc. Now my parents are actually getting her a beanbag chair for her bedroom - but we are spending Christmas with the PILs miles away and space in the car is very limited so I just don't think we can take it with us. We're doing some presents with my mum, dad and sister when we get back as only some presents come from FC. But she may well be very upset if FC doesn't get her the one thing she really, really wants. WWYD??

legalalien Wed 19-Dec-12 07:32:51

Tell her there are 2 billion children in the world, she asked FC for playmobil, he doesn't have time to dash around fulfilling the requests of children who change their mind, and if she's really lucky someone else might get her a chair. Personally I would have made this clear when she first mentioned the chair, but I am fairly mean like that!

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Wed 19-Dec-12 07:34:33

Can you find a little fold up camping chair like this anywhere?

We3bunniesOfOrientAre Wed 19-Dec-12 07:45:10

What about a letter from FC explaining that someone else is buying it, or swop a present with your parents so it can be from FC, but in his letter he can say that it would be too big to fit in the car home, so he has left it at your house, and wrap it up at home and put it by the fireplace with a bit of soot on the paper. You can 'forget' something once the dc are strapped in the car in order to stage it before you leave.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Dec-12 07:53:46

I think its a bit mean of FC to take the credit for presents from grandparents. He was only allowed to bring stocking gifts to our house.

So, a letter from him saying that he got what was in her letter but that when children think of things later he lets grandparents know about it?

bringonyourwreckingball Wed 19-Dec-12 07:55:42

Ooh we3bunnies, like the letter from FC idea, particularly as she'll then have something special to show off to her sister. I know I'm over-thinking things but we've had a stressful few months and I really want Christmas to be lovely this year

sleeplessinsuburbia Wed 19-Dec-12 08:07:27

I think you are over thinking this. Firstly I doubt she'll be thinking of a chair on the day,but i'd just say guess what I think grandma and grandpa have got you what you wanted for christmas, how wonderful! (If it comes up) otherwise leave it.

Gingerbreadlatte Wed 19-Dec-12 09:46:47

Just smile when she says it and do nothing.

She probably won't remember on the day but if she does its not a bad thing.

My view is that kids need to learn that they can't get everything they want. It sounds mean but its an important thing to learn in life. She is getting a lovely and not inexpensive playmobil gift.

Easier said than done when its your own child.
Have lovely Xmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now