Talk

Advanced search

So, would my 75 year old mum like a Kindle for Christmas, or not?

(11 Posts)
MerylStrop Mon 17-Dec-12 20:19:58

She's an avid reader
She's ok with text messaging and internet usage
She's always wanting to get rid of things, so this would kerb the massive influx of paperbacks from charity shops
She travels by train a lot and a kindle's lighter than a hefty book, yeah?

OR
Will it ruin her charity shop book-buying hobby
Will she end up having to spend loads of money on ebooks or is there lots inexpensively available?

deleted203 Mon 17-Dec-12 20:21:16

Have you asked her? My Mum's 73 and my sister and I bought her one for her birthday this year, at her request. She loves it. (And she can't text).

BOFingSanta Mon 17-Dec-12 20:21:43

I think she will love it. There's plenty available cheaply, I seldom pay more than a couple of pounds on a book, and even when I do, it is cheaper than new paperbacks.

LIZS Mon 17-Dec-12 20:22:37

Buy one . Lots of free and cheap ebooks available. My dm similar age and would n't be without hers.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 17-Dec-12 20:25:28

The only reservation I have, based on what you've said about your Mum, is That I'm wondering how she chooses her books ie. does she enjoy browsing the shelves of books in the charity shops, maybe choosing a book based on its interesting cover or because a name or title catches her eye etc.

If so, would she miss this with a kindle?

MerylStrop Mon 17-Dec-12 20:26:50

If I ask her she'll say oh don't spend any money on me etc etc
I've bought her the modest things she wanted. Next year we will be skint. This year I'd like to manage something nice for her.

PepeLePew Mon 17-Dec-12 20:27:10

I bought my mum (younger, but sounds just like yours - lots of travel, reasonably tech savvy) a Kindle. She goes away a lot and hates carrying big bags, so used to go without a book to save space shock.

She uses hers a lot, but really only when she goes away. She still buys books from the charity shop and uses the library, but she loves it for travelling. I think, to date, she hasn't actually paid more than £1 for a book - she's working her way through the huge number of free classics available. As she said, there's enough Dickens, Trollope, Austen and Bronte to keep her going for several years!

MerylStrop Mon 17-Dec-12 20:27:52

She does read some terrible stuff though. This would prevent her having a houseful of dreadful books.

Vix07 Mon 17-Dec-12 20:29:25

Another vote for yes here - my Dad is a huge fan of his (70 in April) and mostly downloads free books from the many many sites set up for this, try: www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Free_Kindle_Books

thegreylady Mon 17-Dec-12 20:50:54

My dh is 76 and I am 68 we both love our Kindles.I'd go for the paperwhite version smile

Delayingtactic Mon 17-Dec-12 21:00:14

I'd say yes. A family friend who is a complete technophobe loved her kindle. Also when her eyesight was bad she could just increase the text size!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now