Talk

Advanced search

Anyone remember Lite Brite?

(11 Posts)
PatsysPyjamas Mon 17-Dec-12 17:26:18

I have spent the past month trying to remember the name of this amazing toy from the 80s, which my friend had and I coveted. My DD would love it, but now I remember the name, I've found it no longer exists as was (there is an iPad version - grr)

Is there anything else similar? I hope so, it was so amazing and I have been feeling nostalgic for it all month!

ObiTheChristmasWan Mon 17-Dec-12 18:05:57

You can still get them in the States, but Hasbro (US) wouldn't ship to the UK last time I checked.

I got an 'Illumino' peg-board (made by Quercetti) in TK Maxx a couple of years ago, but it wasn't quite the same. The pegs were not as hard on the fingers as the original Lite Brite ones grin

I think I'll have to befriend a kindly American.

PatsysPyjamas Mon 17-Dec-12 18:38:45

Thanks, I will look up Illumino. I looked on the Hasbro site and even the US Lite Brites don't look as good any more. Maybe I am remembering it too fondly...

Littlebearlost Mon 17-Dec-12 18:50:00

Is the illumino any good? I've found it for fifty pounds on amazon but it seems a bit pricey! I want one too now, I'd completely forgotten about the wonder that was lite brite. My friend had it and I always thought it was magical and coveted it.

NatashaBee Mon 17-Dec-12 18:56:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PatsysPyjamas Mon 17-Dec-12 21:29:51

Littlebearlost, yes I thought it was magical too! We used to play with it for hours.

I looked up Illumino and can't find it available on Amazon UK (possibly being stupid), but I wouldn't pay £50 for it. The new US Lite Brites don't look so good either. Grr. Why do things have to change...? Now I really want to find a retro 80s one, but it would probably cost a bomb, half the bulbs would have blown and to my DD it would just look OLD.

TOY MAKERS OF THE WORLD (specifically Hasbro) please bring back the Original Lite Brite!

TuttoRhino Mon 17-Dec-12 21:34:43

I will join your campaign. I really want to get a Lite Brite set for my daughter next year. She's only 3.5 so not yet old enough.

The new battery operated Lite Brite gets really bad reviews on US sites. I've seen the old school version in a shop in Canada but it had a plug so useless for the UK. I don't love it enough to want to faff about with a transformer.

Littlebearlost Mon 17-Dec-12 21:43:42

There is one on eBay, also for £50! An original on. Do you think it wouldn't be as magical now? My ds isn't as impressed with toys as easily as I was, they do so much more now! Although it would appear that the new lite brite is a step backwards. The illumino looks good, but £50 is a bit much.

Alambil Tue 18-Dec-12 00:54:37

My sister got one in the charity shop for DS a couple years ago for a fiver....

have you tried ebay?

ObiTheChristmasWan Tue 18-Dec-12 02:46:30

The Illumino is OK. The pegs are larger, so you don't use as many as you would with Lite Brite. I think that makes the pictures a bit less wow-y. The colours are also less intense. I remember the Lite Brite colours being like old fashioned Christmas tree lights, blue, proper greeny green, and red, and a warm yellow, orange, pink...

There is no way I'd pay £50, it was £14 when I got one from TK Maxx, and I think that's the most I'd pay for it. The children did like it, but they had nothing to compare it to.

SrirachaGirl Tue 18-Dec-12 02:56:57

Yes! I coveted them when I was little sad. You can get them here (Canada) and you have inspired me to go and buy one for myself the children tomorrow.
Cackles with glee at the thought of creating luminous rude messages. <immature>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now