Talk

Advanced search

Worth cooking Xmas for 3 toddlers

(13 Posts)
VeremyJyle Sun 16-Dec-12 17:05:42

In our house this year it will just be me and 3 toddlers (4,3 and 2 yo) will it be worth cooking a full Christmas dinner for just the four of us? They probably won't touch most of it and certainly won't remember by the next day. Am I just being miserable?

We3NipplesOfVoldiesWeAre Sun 16-Dec-12 17:11:48

No, what's the point of running backwards and forwards to the kitchen for a dinner they won't enjoy, and missing all the fun playing with them.

If I was you, I'd have a nice party tea with crackers to pull, Christmas songs playing and maybe keep a small gift back to give them at the table.

thegreylady Sun 16-Dec-12 17:18:45

Would they eat a roast chicken dinner perhaps with roasties,carrots and peas followed by a pudding that you know they will like.Include crackers and an angel chime is magical too. The 3 and 4 year old will certainly appreciate it.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 16-Dec-12 17:21:07

You should cook whatever you want to cook and eat, and then maybe gussy it up with crackers and maybe some 'decorative elements' (santa napkins, snowman candles, whatever...) to make it more special.

baileysontherocks Sun 16-Dec-12 17:35:09

If i was you i wouldn't bother i would just do them a tea party (buffet) with crackers and christmas music grin

CMOTDibbler Sun 16-Dec-12 18:07:03

I'd do a picky lunch with the things they, and you, like to eat most, and make it more like a party tea with crackers and hats and special paper plates

NotAnotherNewNappy Sun 16-Dec-12 18:15:16

I second an Xmas themed party tea... Sausages wrapped in bacon, turkey &!cranberry sauce sandwiches etc All stuff you can get ready and then leave, so you don't have to worry about timing things and don't have to worry about little ones running around a hot kitchen.

bluebiscuit Sun 16-Dec-12 18:20:02

I would make a party food style Christmas dinner for them. There is no point making a big Christmas dinner if they not enjoy it. My 4yo loves a big roast but my 6yo would eat the little sausages and nothing else!

MegBusset Sun 16-Dec-12 18:25:27

Nooo mine are 3 and 5 and we have a party buffet with them and save the Xmas dinner til they're in bed, they would much rather have sarnies and party rings than roast potatoes and sprouts, much more fun and less stress all round smile

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 16-Dec-12 18:26:43

Do whatever their favourite dinner is

Mintberry Sun 16-Dec-12 18:35:13

I'd go with the roast chicken option. Easier, cheaper, but still Christmas dinnery. Then again, I love a roast and will take any excuse to have one. grin

Whatever you decide on, just add cranberry sauce and it will become instantly christmasy.

VeremyJyle Sun 16-Dec-12 19:09:23

Thanks everyone, I really like the sound of a Christmassy buffet, I think I'm going to do that, they would much prefer it too grin

FireOverBethlehem Mon 17-Dec-12 14:20:34

I'd do a chicken dinner, mainly because I know my 3 year old would fill up on potatoes and sleep well at night as a result. If we had a buffet, he'd fill up on crisps and biscuits and try to avoid sandwiches, and wouldn't be as full as a result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now