Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding a Christmas cake

(10 Posts)
Helenagrace Sun 16-Dec-12 08:53:54

My MIL has made me a Christmas cake. She's teetotal so she's put no alcohol in it at all. It feels hard and heavy.

Do you think I can redeem it by feeding it a lot over the next few days or do I cut my losses and go and buy one?

DameMargotFountain Sun 16-Dec-12 08:57:54

strong cold sweetened tea might give it a bit of moisture, but as long as it's been in a container, it'll probably be delicious, honest

rich fruit cake is very dense anyway

DameMargotFountain Sun 16-Dec-12 08:58:14

sorry, black tea...no milk grin

Helenagrace Sun 16-Dec-12 09:00:25

damemargot tea?!?! I'll have to think about that one as I don't like tea very much. Will it taste if tea? I was thinking myself of liberal doses of brandy!!

chocolateicecream Sun 16-Dec-12 13:31:07

Poke lots of holes in it and drown it with brandy. I always store mine with an apple because my Grandad told me that it keeps the cake moist. If it is a bit dry just enjoy it with a slightly creamier cheese.

DameMargotFountain Sun 16-Dec-12 16:03:08

blush

i thought you wanted to keep the cake teetotal grin

in that case, warm up some brandy and give the bugger a bath grin

chocolateicecream Sun 16-Dec-12 17:01:32

LOL DameMargot. I bet that you make lovely Christmas cakes!

Startail Sun 16-Dec-12 17:06:50

I have a syringe with a villainous long needle.

(I bought it nice and new and sterile when I was a post grad. We used them all the time for getting reagents out of self sealing bottles.)

Makes less mess of the cake than a skewer.

DameMargotFountain Sun 16-Dec-12 20:04:15

aw, thanks chocolate

i don't know if it's 'lovely' but it sure is boozy grin

need to marzipan it tomorrow, with a mask so i'm not overcome by fumes

Startail Sun 16-Dec-12 23:24:35

DH got my non drinking DDad tips on Christmas cake, He soaked the fruit for several days in this

it should be noted that we used 70% alcohol as a cheap no residue disinfectant a lot in the lab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now