Talk

Advanced search

mulled wine- your best recipe?

(11 Posts)
nowwearefour Sat 15-Dec-12 18:41:05

i ahve drinks for around 15 people this week and want to get it right!

sgts Sat 15-Dec-12 18:58:28

Mulled pear and cranberry punch.
1 litre pear cider
1 litre pear (or cloudy apple) juice
1 litre cranberry juice
Good handful fresh/dried cranberries
150ml sloe gin
2 cinnamon sticks
2 vanilla pods

Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and heat to just below simmering.
This is just delicious.
It makes about 8-10 glasses so you might want to double or even triple the quantities.
Enjoy.

lilolilmanchester Sat 15-Dec-12 19:42:26

that sounds goregous sgts, it's now in my Christmas recipe file!

Nowwearefour, if you want to keep it simple, honestly the Schwartz mulled wine sachets are FINE... just add to red wine with sugar to taste (the sugar is important, it will taste rank otherwise). Heat wine and sugar with a sachet, taste, add more sugar if you think it needs it, add slices of lemon & orange (optional, but makes it look authentic). Top tip... slow cookers great for keeping warm, once you've warmed it.

nowwearefour Sat 15-Dec-12 20:03:52

oooh sounds fab! both. thanks!¬

littlemissstan Sat 15-Dec-12 20:06:17

Jamie O tip - heat the sugar with just a little bit of wine to make a syrup, then add rest of wine - this makes sure the sugar is all dissolved first so not too much alcohol burns off waiting for this to happen!

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 15-Dec-12 20:08:29

I make mine following Jamie Oliver's recipe. It's bloody good, in fact I'm pissed on it right now.

Mulledandmerry Sat 15-Dec-12 20:11:54

Try this fabulous mulled cider...litre of cider, thyme sprigs, tsp ginger, 8 cloves, grating of nutmeg, cinammon stick, generous tablespoon muscovado sugar...heat gently until tiny whisps of steam, then add 200 mls brandy! DO NOT BOIL. Cool and leave to infuse overnight. Reheat and feel on top of the world. Merry Christmas (leaving to infuse will make it extra lovely,but still really good drunk straightaway)

bigbadbarry Sun 16-Dec-12 15:59:49

Nooo forget mulled wine you need to serve winter pimms. Warm, with apple juice and sliced oranges and lemons.

nowwearefour Sun 16-Dec-12 18:09:25

Ooh big bad. Thanks! (waves to big bad)

bigbadbarry Sun 16-Dec-12 18:28:46

(Seriously, go and buy a bottle of winter pimms. You will not look back.)
(hi smile )

awaywego1 Sun 16-Dec-12 19:11:30

Currently drinking;
Bottle of red
Half a carton of fresh orange
Half a carton of cranberry juice
Orange chopped up
Glug of plum gin
Swartz sachets

Simple but Works for me and my friends love it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now