Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How old for a skateboard

(8 Posts)
Virgil Thu 13-Dec-12 18:12:29

DSIL has just asked me what she can get for the Dss for Christmas. Given that in stumped myself for further ideas I'm struggling to come up with anything for her for about a tender.

I've just seen some small skateboards on amazon. How old are they before they can master skateboards? The DSs are nearly six and nearly eight.

FannyBazaar Thu 13-Dec-12 20:11:44

My DS is 7 and can no way master a skateboard but loves trying! His was bought for his Christmas present when he was 5 but turned up late so was kept 'til his 6th birthday.

FannyBazaar Thu 13-Dec-12 20:12:26

We did see an 8 year old at the skate park who was a right whizz on it, looked like he went on a regular basis.

My Ds has wanted one for years . We just bought him one for Xmas. He's just turned 8 smile

Virgil Thu 13-Dec-12 20:18:01

Hmm so might be ok for DS1 but DS2 isn't six yet. Aargh, he is so difficult to buy for. I asked him earlier what he wants for Christmas and he said "a snuggle with mummy"

GoldQuintessenceAndMyhrr Thu 13-Dec-12 20:22:57

ds2 turned 7 in June, he got his first skateboard in September. He loves it.

He is not a whizz yet, but he has excellent balance as he has been skiing since he was 3 years old. So he can stand and balance going down from a drop, he can go down a few steps of a staircase on his board, and has no problems keeping his momentum up and down in the punch bowl or half pipe. He can also stear it on the straight and narrow, and that is just after a few months.

You need bmx helmet, wrist protection and knee protection, this is vital.

Go for it for both, I say!

devonsmummy Thu 13-Dec-12 20:34:04

DS got one for his 6th birthday
He'd fallen off one in toys are us & had to have his c hin glued & stitched ,when he was 3 ,so I wasn't too keen.

I went into a skateboard shop & asked about the small ones you see now.
The owner advised against these as they are much easier to tip as the feet are closer together.
DS has a full sized one & is doing ok with it - even attempting jumps on it.

ThePathanKhansWitch Thu 13-Dec-12 20:34:07

I,d get a full size one, and def get wrist guards, he,ll love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now