Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Suggestion for a suitcase big enough to hold clothes and Xmas presents

(10 Posts)
Carpediem2007 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:11:58

Hi
I am flying on Sunday with DS who is 5 and we need a suitcase big enough to carry clothes and (wrapped) Christmas presents. DS has a medium size case which is big enough to fit his usual clothes and a snow salopette/gloves/boots as we will be in the mountains, visiting family in the Alps.

My old case broke and I need a new one. I ordered one from The Sports HQ company 2 weeks ago and rang them today as we are still waiting for the delivery but they denied having received our order, and asked me to forward the Paypal receipt and 'will look at it tomorrow'.
Trouble is, I have now discovered that this company has a very poor customer service from all the negative reviews that I discovered today so I am not expecting any positive outcome by Sunday, when we need the suitcase to go on holiday. I am now looking at buying a suitcase elsewhere and considering cancelling The Sports HQ order as other customers reported over 3 weeks delays to get their order eventually after much fight and phone calls.

Can you recommend a 4 wheel case to hold about 20 kg of luggage? I will have to buy it in a shop now as there is too little time to order. I am off tomorrow so can go real life shopping (I normally work so do most shopping online).

Thanks for your recommendations.

spottymoo Thu 13-Dec-12 10:27:29

Matalan had some big light weight ones apparently the lightest on the market

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 10:30:55

Are you flying? Cos weight will be your biggest issue I think.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Thu 13-Dec-12 10:31:39

Debenhams usually have quite a reasonable selection I think.

twinklesparkles Thu 13-Dec-12 10:41:29

Matalan tk maxx or sports direct?

Argos do sets of luggage..

Toddle Thu 13-Dec-12 16:30:08

Depending where you are I have a large one you could borrow?

Last holiday we went on it weighed just under our 22kg allowance with a ton of sun cream in so you should be fine if you close to collect it

gregssausageroll Thu 13-Dec-12 18:27:18

Don't get a case, get a bag on wheels. You will get them on eBay. Cases, even lightweight ones still have a fair bit of weight inside them. I'd put the presents etc in the medium case and the clothes in the trolly bag.

AhCmonSeriouslyNow Thu 13-Dec-12 18:32:40

I am going with the option of bringing absolutely minimal clothes so that the pressies fit in on our trip!
I have been planning my "capsule wardrobe" for weeks now but really must start testing the packing rather than shoving it all in the night before like I usually do.

It's me and 2 DCs (jammy OH is flying over the day after on his own) so they will each have their own wheelie case but that'll be carry on, I think so might put their pjs in it, soft toy and 'plane activities and maybe 1 change of clothes.
Then I think it might make sense to have 2 suitcases, a large and a medium/small.

Could you use 2 medium cases - one for DS's allowance and one for yours?

Carpediem2007 Thu 13-Dec-12 18:33:57

thanks a lot for your suggestions, I had a look today as this is my day off. Sport HQ have contacted me and promised delivery tomorrow so I hope they honour my order but their reviews are awful so I had a look around the various places suggested here. TKMAx and Debenhams had some nice cases. I have not seen large bags on wheels but I see your point, gregsausageroll, I would probably have more space in a bag than a case. I think the wheel system increase the weight but 4 wheels really make it easier, as I likely to have to hold DS's hand, pull a case and somehow push the other as well.
Thanks for your offer Toddle, that was very kind of you but I don't know where you live and I am running out of time to go and borrow yours, but that was a very kind offer, MN is full of amazingly kind people x

Carpediem2007 Fri 14-Dec-12 21:58:03

Well, case not delivered today and I had an email at 5:20pm saying it had just been dispatched.Still not clear if it will be delivered next week once i am on holiday already, or tomorrow, just in time.
I think that I may end up panic buying a cheap case tomorrow :-(

Wich specific bag on wheel do you have, greg , as I don't want to end up with too many cases, I may buy a bag as you suggested then will have a choice between cases and bag next time around. There is so much choice this is rather confusing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now