Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Interesting starters?

(11 Posts)
tiggy114 Wed 12-Dec-12 21:28:03

I'm planning the xmas meal for fussy people this year. We're having cheesecake for pud as noone likes xmas pud. But i'm stuck for starters. Only one likes prawns so they're out. As is seafood. No cheese either. And we're not soupy people. So now i'm stuck. Any ideas? Must appeal to kids and adults.

fuzzpig Wed 12-Dec-12 21:35:51

Once we did little Parma ham parcels tied with chives, we filled them with Waldorf salad!

muchostinky Wed 12-Dec-12 21:53:20

Parma Ham and Melon?

charlieandlola Wed 12-Dec-12 21:54:19

Terrys Chocolate Orange is a traditional Christmas Starter, eaten at approx 6am!

tiggy114 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:08:21

Ha ha charlie. You are sooo right. Toblerone for seconds!!!

tiggy114 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:09:26

Mucho i may sound thick, but whats tge difference between parma and regular ham? We do all like ham so that could be an option grin

DecktheHallswithTroughsofBolly Wed 12-Dec-12 22:16:09

parma ham normal ham

Parma ham is cured differently, air aged and cut much more thinly (paper thin). It's a bit like comparing white and blue cheeses - both lovely but completely different treatment of an ingredient (in this case pork)

DecktheHallswithTroughsofBolly Wed 12-Dec-12 22:17:54

Do you like spicy food ? Something like a kofte kebab with some salad and a raita yoghurt would be lovely and unexpected. You can buy kofte spices at asda

Or what about pate/chicken liver parfait and toasted brioche ?

DecktheHallswithTroughsofBolly Wed 12-Dec-12 22:19:41

Or if you all like ham and cold meats why not do a sort of antipasti affair with cold meats, some olives, those mushrooms in oil, artichokes, anchovies, stuffed mini peppers and do some tear and share bread with it ?

It's a really easy starter, just a case of "empty the packet and shove on a plate for everyone to share"

PieEyedAndLairySanta Wed 12-Dec-12 22:26:36

We had stuffed mushrooms one year and another year breaded mushrooms with a sauce to dip them in. The sauce was Port and Stilton. I thought it was lovely even though I don't usually like blue cheese.

Think the kebabs sound lovely Deck.

tiggy114 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:39:05

My son adores chicken kebabs so that is a great idea grin i could do mushroom or halloumi for me. Great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now