Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quite outrageously excited! home alone on the big day!

(15 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Sun 09-Dec-12 19:38:11

DH, DD and I were invited quite wholeheartedly to a relative's for lunch on Christmas Day. We didn't accept the invitation but the invitee assumed we would (heard through the grapevine) and got down to making plans. DH and I talked it through and concluded we would make the best of it, help as much as possible with prep and have a relaxing day on the 27th instead.

Today however our invitation was recalled! The invitee was extremely apologetic, but they were inviting my estranged sister and as she has no other family they thought our little family would be ok alone.

Whoop whoop. We can now eat lunch when we want for small DD, all have a nap and then go out visiting family for the afternoon. Brilliant.

I do have to figure out how small a turkey we can get away with.

redwellybluewelly Sun 09-Dec-12 19:38:46

*halfheartedly not wholeheartedly!

fuzzpig Sun 09-Dec-12 21:48:22

Sounds good to me! We have Xmas day just the four of us too smile

NotALondoner Sun 09-Dec-12 22:01:56

Oh I thought you meant totally alone, just you. I was green with envy at that thought, I can tell you.

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Sun 09-Dec-12 22:04:23

sad i thought you meant the film grin

girlywhirly Mon 10-Dec-12 08:12:34

Why not have a chicken instead? Or if you really want turkey, a boned and rolled breast would be good and not 'go on forever with no end in sight' unless you like doing recipes with leftovers.

Have a lovely little Christmas.

KindleMum Mon 10-Dec-12 08:31:14

Congrats! How about duck instead of turkey - we have that for Xmas if it's just us. It's got the feel of having something special, leaves few leftovers, and makes great roast potatoes.

spookysal Mon 10-Dec-12 11:32:35

I love Christmas day with just us. Presents, park for new bikes/scooters, lunch and then games with children.

We are having a stuffed crown from M&S Food to order so no faffing in the kitchen for hours.

Marne Mon 10-Dec-12 12:18:08

We are having our first christmas on our own this year, i am so excited and will find it sooo much less stressful, we dont have to rush the present opening, dont have to wait for people to turn up or rush of to peoples houses, dont have to get dressed up and can eat when we want (sounds perfect).

redwellybluewelly Mon 10-Dec-12 12:38:38

I didn't sleep till 3am this morning with excitement! and DD was keeping me awake

We will still need to get up and get dressed to visit a family gathering (the one our lunch invite was invoked from) but overall it will be far far less stressful and DD can go to the park or play outside with her new umbrella which Santa is bringing her with DH while I am finishing off lunch.

I am happy that there are other people looming forward to the smaller is better idea as well.

Phoebe47 Mon 10-Dec-12 14:16:18

I would love to be just our own little family but it will never happen. Have to have DH's Mum - which is OK but she does fuss about everything being done exactly as she did it in the past and complains when we don't follow her way of doing things. Also have to have DH's two brothers one of whom is OK and the other is a pain in the neck.

Threelittleducks Mon 10-Dec-12 19:09:09

I am jealous! Enjoy!

Clandy Mon 10-Dec-12 19:22:17

Eeek grin I totally understand the excitement. We are having our first christmas at home and I can't wait! Just us! The way we want it! No stress or lugging presents around or having to leave 5 mins after opening them. I have been planning this since last christmas grin I have ordered a turkey crown as we don't eat the dark meat so would be wasted and would rather buy a bigger crown as we want leftovers!

canoodle Mon 10-Dec-12 20:25:48

We are doing this and are really looking forward to it. We're having beef, because that's what everyone likes best.

YourHandInMyHand Tue 11-Dec-12 08:14:38

I'm having xmas day just me and DS this year and we too will have a nice chilled day at our own pace without my mum driving me mad.

As there are only me and him and he won't eat turkey I've bought one of those tray things with chicken breast wrapped in bacon, chipolata sausage and stuffing ball x2. Nice, quick and tasty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now