Talk

Advanced search

Child-friendly alternatives to xmas pudding

(59 Posts)
NuclearStandoff Sun 09-Dec-12 18:57:36

what would you do?

Thinking not yule log, chocolate too rich after everything that will have gone before.

please share your best ideas. Thanks.

DameMargotFountain Sun 09-Dec-12 18:59:03

fruit salad?

meringue/pavlova?

fortyplus Sun 09-Dec-12 18:59:27

Ice cream bombe

BikeRunSki Sun 09-Dec-12 19:00:10

Meringue and squirty cream.
Let them squirt.

Mummydoctor Sun 09-Dec-12 19:00:12

Fruit trifle? They can always skip dessert if too full anyway.

wonkylegs Sun 09-Dec-12 19:00:18

Christmas pudding ice cream
Satsuma ice cream
Panetone

serin Sun 09-Dec-12 19:00:20

Ice cream (Xmas pud flavoured)

Rooble Sun 09-Dec-12 19:00:56

I was going to say ice cream bombe too. Had a nice "Christmas pudding" one once, made with fruit and brandy. V nice indeed

Dolallytats Sun 09-Dec-12 19:01:08

My sister always does vanilla ice cream with a selection of sprinkles for her children. My son doesn't really eat any kind of dessert (didn't get that from MY side of the family!!) so he might have icecream too, but usually just has a bit of whatever chocolate he has been given.

Trifle always goes down well or even something like banana and custard. It doesn't have to be Christmassy, just something the children will like!!

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Sun 09-Dec-12 19:03:03

Jelly and custard. Everybody likes jelly and custard.

NuclearStandoff Sun 09-Dec-12 19:04:24

any seasonal ideas?

jojane Sun 09-Dec-12 19:05:12

I have got from sainsburys an ice cream Father Christmas grotto, was recommended by a friend, comes with little icing things to stick on.

KindleMum Sun 09-Dec-12 19:08:35

I usually make raspberry pavlova as we all like that. We usually have a gap between mains and dessert though, we like all the trimmings with the roast and just don't have room for pudding straight off so it's a mid-afternoon snack.

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfBolly Sun 09-Dec-12 19:10:10

Vienetta!

fuzzpig Sun 09-Dec-12 19:10:56

We have Eton mess smile

RightUpMyRue Sun 09-Dec-12 19:11:39

Chocolate log?

I usually do a cheesecake or a chocolate trifle. Not because they're christmassy but because they're what I like!

You could make a steamed pudding, either choc or plain, in a bowl so it has the shape of an xmas pud and then ice it in a way so it looks like an xmas pud?

Startail Sun 09-Dec-12 19:13:44

DD2 would shout ICE CREAM! my dear father would agree with her and DH would shout TRIFFLE!

Me I love pavlova and a DF makes lovely Xmas pudding icecream which I think is a Delilah recipe.

I think everyone would happily leave Pudding until boxing day when it's all less fraught.

FushiaFernica Sun 09-Dec-12 19:14:30

Won't they have eaten loads of chocolate from their stocking by then? I'm just going for posh ice cream with M & S raspberry sauce, maybe fan wafer.

hugoagogo Sun 09-Dec-12 19:15:05

What's wrong with christmas pud? Do your dc not like it? [confused}

pumpkinsweetie Sun 09-Dec-12 19:15:26

Sticky toffee/summerfruits steamed pudding, Trifle, icecream, icecream bombe, gateaux, chocolate cake/sponge, fruit terrine, fruit sorbet, angel delightgrin, chocolate mousse, pannettone...

PeppermintonCandyCane Sun 09-Dec-12 19:19:17

Ice cream bombe.
This year mine's having clotted cream vanilla filled with Ben & Jerrys winter berry brownie, and the whole thing covered in a dark chocolate shell - so it looks like a xmas pud.

worsestershiresauce Sun 09-Dec-12 19:21:34

My mum always made us fruit salad or apple pie. She still does!

Hugo - lots of kids don't like xmas pudding (and adults like me!). It is very heavy, has a strong flavour and unappealing texture.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 09-Dec-12 19:22:06

We got an icecream in the shape (and colour) of a christmas tree a few years ago. It didn't taste particularly amazing, but it looked great and the kids loved it.

hugoagogo Sun 09-Dec-12 19:27:19

Do they? First I've heard of it! ds would have it after every meal- he asked me if we were having it tonight. grin

Arithmeticulous Sun 09-Dec-12 19:35:19

1. Make a chocolate bowl (you can probably buy them too!) and fill with chocolate mousse or ice cream

2. Make a snowman out of fruit and cocktail sticks - melon, apple, grapes.

3. Make a Christmas tree out of mini rolls, cocktail sticks and chocolate fingers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now