Talk

Advanced search

Aaargh! Please help me think of a main present for my 13 year old ds!

(14 Posts)
mum47 Sun 09-Dec-12 14:51:58

He has a play station and a tv, he has use of our computer and our laptop. He has a phone. His main interest is skateboarding. He had a birthday in November so has everything skateboard-related that he needs. He doesn't have any other major interests that we could buy him something relating to iyswim.

We had thought about getting him a tablet, but he doesn't think he would use it, and we don't want to spend all that money if he doesn't use it. We just can't think of anything to get him. He can't think of anything either and is actually getting quite stressed because he doesn't know wht to get (think he is worried we will buy him something really crap!)

Also I think he is worried he will get something rubbish compared to all his mates who seem to be getting laptops, ipads etc all at great expense. He is a good boy and we don't spoil him throughout the year, so really want to get him something he will like. His 11 year old db is to be getting a tablet, and I know he will love it.

We are happy to buy a decent present, and smaller things are sorted, just the main one we are sticking on. Any inspiration anyone?

SilasGreenback Sun 09-Dec-12 15:08:43

My 13 year old is getting a RaspberryPi. He also wants a fountain pen, Hawaii 5-0 box set and ds games.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 09-Dec-12 15:18:05

My oldest DS has some really cool, space-aget speakers in his room, which attach to his pc. Is your boy into music at all?

SofiaAmes Sun 09-Dec-12 16:23:48

A 13 year old should have his own laptop. Get him a used one if budget is an issue. A tablet is not a substitute for a laptop. He needs a laptop, not because his friends have one, but because being completely fluent on a computer is a prerequisite for just about any job these days. A laptop is probably more useful than the tv and the playstation.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 09-Dec-12 16:41:02

Actually, it did occur to me that a laptop would be the most useful thing. Needed more and more for schoolwork as they progress, and there'll come a stage when he won't want to be borrowing the home one or yours - or it's not convenient to do so.

MikeLitorisHasChristmasLights Sun 09-Dec-12 16:41:32

12yo ds is having a chromebook for Christmas.

He has access to the family pc etc but I think it will be good for him to have his own. Especially for school.

AppleAndBlackberry Sun 09-Dec-12 17:31:04

Just wondering if he's getting stressed about it whether some money might be a good idea so that he can get something in 6 months or whatever?

fuzzpig Sun 09-Dec-12 17:53:11

I think we will be getting DSDs something like a chromebook for their birthday next year, as most of their homework is online and they currently share a pc at their house. Presumably the chromebooks don't support things like Word, but I guess you can use googledocs or whatever it's called as that's web based?

zandy Sun 09-Dec-12 17:59:19

What about a helmet camera that he can use when he's out skating?

MikeLitorisHasChristmasLights Sun 09-Dec-12 19:04:17

Fuzzypig yep, yoh use googledocs. Iirc you can upload word docs but cant edit them (well you can but they then wont convert back to word iyswim) we thought it best for ds as his homework is predominantly online stuff.

This price was a big attraction compared to other standard laptops too.

fuzzpig Sun 09-Dec-12 19:13:15

That's helpful thanks smile their birthday isn't til April but I've put one on my amazon wishlist to remind me nearer the time!

serin Sun 09-Dec-12 19:25:54

Kayak?

Thats what we have ended up getting DS1 who is 12.

He will use it for fishing.

He is an outdoorsy lad and would be gutted with a laptop.

amck5700 Sun 09-Dec-12 22:33:30

Gaming Chair?
Ipod and docking station?

I have a 12 and a half year old who was in a similar position - he has his own gaming PC and pretty much doesn't use any of his other gadgets.

I the end, he settled on a architects drawing board - that was way cheaper than his brothers PS Vita so we bought him all the bits to go with it (fancy pencils and pens/A2 paper/set squares etc) plus a graphic tablet and software for making Anime cartoons. we hope he will be over the moon with that.

Actually, what about a PS Vita?

mum47 Sun 09-Dec-12 23:13:27

Thanks all, some really good ideas here. I am wondering if we should spend a bit extra on a Chromebook but there are some other suggestions here that we might consider. He really enjoys graphic communications at school so there might be something in that area we could get. And yes, if all else fails, there is always the option to give money. Thanks so much for your ideas, it has really helped. It is only going to get worse isn't it!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now