Talk

Advanced search

ideas for a hamper for a uni student

(33 Posts)
hannahkj19 Sun 02-Dec-12 20:58:32

ok so i'm doing a hamper for my little sister of bits to take back to uni with her as she doesn't want/need anything else and i appreciate her lack of space so thinking this will be useful but disposable. basically i want to get her some nice foodie bits any maybe other useful things like nice toiletries so basically what would you like to recieve in a hamper? or what do you put in ones you make? xxx

ChristmasCountdown Sun 02-Dec-12 21:13:08

When I was a student - alcohol! That and nice foodie things and toiletries.

LittlemissChristmas Sun 02-Dec-12 21:16:54

It would be good to put in nice things that she wouldn't normally buy herself such as nice biscuits, chocolates, maybe nice jam, nice hot chocolate, maybe some small bottles of wine or bubbly, croissants in a tin?
Just be careful of you do put it toiletries as well as if they leak everything will be spoilt!

hannahkj19 Sun 02-Dec-12 21:21:01

some good ideas already thanks! keep them coming please :D xxx

BlackandGold Sun 02-Dec-12 21:26:53

Nice coffee, chocolate biscuits, magazine, decent shower gel, hand cream, mince pies.

RibenaFiend Sun 02-Dec-12 21:41:16

Nice pasta sauce or pasaata? Some dried herbs if she'd use them? Chocolate pasta from hotel chocolate?
...breadsticks, cheese, candles, vino, crackers, chocolate (can you tell my ideal night in?!!)

Anything you love! She's probably too student poor to "waste" money on face packs, bath products, moisturiser.

You're a lovely sister! smile

Probably safer to do two separate ones: a foodie one and a smellies one.

Foodie: 'nice' pasta and a couple of jars of different pesto / chunk of Parmesan / olives / crackers / olive oil / little jars of sundried tomatoes or roasted peppers / yes to nice jam and hot chocolate (maybe some mini marshmallows too?) / jar of peanut butter / jar of Marmite (they have one with gold bits in at the mo) / lots of biscuits

Smelly: bubble bath and/or shower gel / nice shampoo and conditioner / handcream / nail varnish remover / make up remover / hairspray / Carmex

ScariestFairyByFar Sun 02-Dec-12 22:15:39

I've done this before for friends and m&s alwAys goes down well there pasta and pasta sauces are lovely

TheReturnOfBridezilla Sun 02-Dec-12 22:48:20

Slippers/socks? Always handy when negotiating manky student houses/Hals of residences?

Dvd/slanket/hot chocolate? I'm thinking warm, comforting things for cold winter nights away from home.

TheReturnOfBridezilla Sun 02-Dec-12 22:53:42

Ooh costume jewellery, Topshop, Accesorize etc?

TheReturnOfBridezilla Sun 02-Dec-12 22:53:55

Accessorize wine

ptangyangkipperbang Sun 02-Dec-12 22:56:10

Posh stationery, coloured post it notes and highlighter pens.

PrincessOfChina Sun 02-Dec-12 23:04:07

Whenever I visited home my nan would give me a block of mature cheddar, some biscuits, some lemonade and some tea bags. And a fiver for every week I'd been away smile

I think smellies are good - shower gel, shampoo, make up type stuff. I'd even go so far as to suggest a laundry hamper - that type of stuff is stuff I still hate spending money on and when I was a student it was even worse!

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 02-Dec-12 23:06:27

well my friend has just handed DS a bag of food for xmas to take back to uni.....dont do what she did - its full of smart price crap....how can anyone think that a smartprice pot noodle is acceptable? confused

i suspect most of it will go in the bin. does that sound ungrateful? she earns more than us....im slightly pissed off.

beanandspud Sun 02-Dec-12 23:10:37

Hot chocolate sachets... Lip balm... Pizza Exress gift card... Post-it notes... Stationery... Furry socks... Shower gel... chocolate/sweets... Emergency £5... Hair elastics... Photo frame... Candles...

trixymalixy Sun 02-Dec-12 23:16:20

Alcohol, alcohol and more alcohol. That's what I would have appreciated as a student grin

Mspontipine Sun 02-Dec-12 23:25:48

Does that sound ungrateful? I'm afraid it does rather VicarInaTutu sad

Every year my mum does me and my dsis a hamper each. (We're in our 40s) Every single thing in it is put in with love and taken out and used with similar love whether it's a pack of smartprice dishcloths or a jar of Harrods jam.

The most important thing in our dhamper is the love.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 03-Dec-12 00:20:25

well tbf it was for his 21st rather than xmas. and im still ungrateful. zero thought went into this....he doesnt eat pot noodles. he is autistic.

OhTheConfusion Mon 03-Dec-12 09:06:19

It's not a very '21st present' tbh sad however what she earns has nothing to do with it hmm

Kirstoll Mon 03-Dec-12 09:12:01

Mmmm I think mildly ungrateful but I would have been ungrateful too grin there is a line between getting presents and choosing presents! But I am sure vicar ina that there will probably be a time where a smart price pot noodle becomes dinner blush

Mspontipine Mon 03-Dec-12 12:16:10

P.s sometimes in our hamper is something that's a little bit out there that we wouldn't dream of buying ourselves - like the year I got one of those self heating cans of coffee. grin

FireOverBabylon Mon 03-Dec-12 12:23:29

How about some Aldi thermals, to keep the cost down?

All my student houses were freezing cold.

unihamper Mon 30-Oct-17 20:21:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Carrie76 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:24:38

It might have 5 years ago!

HotelEuphoria Mon 30-Oct-17 20:27:59

Mine always appreciated home cooked meAls frozen in disposable containers. Favourites such as lasagne or curry or meatballs. Things that tasted of home but they could reheat in five minutes when they got fed up of cooking for themselves.

Also nicer bits of food that their budgets didn't stretch to, decent biscuits, a piece of sirloin steak, a nice piece of cheese, microwave popcorn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now