Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do I leave my lovely new tree looking all classy and nice, or do I go for the samta vomit look?

(28 Posts)
ditavonteesed Sun 02-Dec-12 14:06:50

I bought a new tree, it is gorgeous, got just the right amount of colour coordinated decs and looks really elegant. dh has just taken the box up to the loft and is bringing the rest of the decs down, so do I leave my tree as it is or do I let the kids put all the other stuff on it so it will end up looking like santa sneezed at it? (the other decs are all the things the kids have made over the years and totally random stuff which woont match at all.

LoopsInHoops Sun 02-Dec-12 14:41:12

2nd tree for kids. It's the only way.

BlameItOnTheCuervo Sun 02-Dec-12 14:43:05

Yes, get another cheap tree. A potted one, then you can bring it in every year.

ByTheWay1 Sun 02-Dec-12 16:49:45

Santa vomit look every time - I personally dislike "staged" trees - I have kids, and people who buy or make special decs just for me....

I always think it is sad to see a fully colour co-ordinated tree... like magnolia walls and cream carpets and no clutter... just looks a bit "un-lived in" and like a parent is saying "Your stuff is great darling - but let's not put it at the front of the tree where people can actually see it"

CheerMum Sun 02-Dec-12 16:56:10

I have always done the tree in our house and dd has her own tree in her bedroom. But this year has been tough for her (health issues) so I said that as a reward for putting up with so much she could do the big tree. Gone is my tasteful red and copper theme (sob) and in its place is....well...Santa vomit. Good job I have had my Christmas booze delivery. Cheers wine
<oh my poor tree>

ByTheWay1 Sun 02-Dec-12 17:00:11

Ahhhh CheerMum - it is not a poor tree - it is a tree done with love, and any photos you take will, in future years remind you of the reasons for doing it like this - and I bet they will be more treasured than photos of a tasteful tree any time!

Jingleflobba Sun 02-Dec-12 17:02:16

Santa vomit!! Loads of baubles and glittery stuff made by the DC's on our tree and it looks bloody fab.
I want a christmas glass of wine smiley..

LtXmasEve Sun 02-Dec-12 17:03:49

I have a Santa Vomit tree - I wasn't allowed to help at all this year. It's sitting in the corner smirking at me, knowing I cannot do a thing about it sad

ByTheWay1 Sun 02-Dec-12 17:03:56

we always get our photos out so we can check we have the wonky angel just right, and the clay donkey (well I think it's a donkey) has to have pride of place along with the cardboard star with 7 points (how?) and angel whose halo won't stay up... makes us teary eyed and reminiscent.... the girls are now 10 and 11 but still like their things on the tree..

Househunter Sun 02-Dec-12 17:04:16

Agree with ByTheWay1. Tasteful trees are all very well in hotel lobbies or department stores but at home I prefer one that my kids love. And that's never going to be understated grin.

Although I do have secret envy or people that have minimalist houses and beautifully coordinated trees!

cheesesarnie Sun 02-Dec-12 17:04:36

we always end up with santa vomit but i love it. the dc love decorating the tree.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 02-Dec-12 17:06:09

I love the Santa Vomit look!

No tasteful tree to be found in this house! We have 2 trees actually, both as tasteless as the other, plus there is the foil garlands to behold and the various strings of mismatched lights in the dses bedrooms....our house is lovelygrin

Oh, and I'm crocheting some mini Christmas trees to make some festive bunting with....

RobinsBaubleSparkles Sun 02-Dec-12 17:07:58

I love a theme but DH had an idea that every year he would take our girls to choose a new decoration each. Nice idea if they chose tasteful decorations that fit in with my red, green and gold theme...

This year they have both chosen hideous, pink, sparkly monstrosities angry.

DH says, "Christmas isn't about a perfect tree, it's about the DC having fun!" Yeah yeah blah blah blah. They're going at the back! grin

MollyMurphy Sun 02-Dec-12 17:07:59

There will be plenty of time for grown up trees when your kids are older or out on their own....betting we'll pine for the santa vomit look days so why not let it be for now is my suggestion.

Dotty342kids Sun 02-Dec-12 17:11:48

I have actually said I'll buy the kids a small fake tree to have upstairs that they can have Santa Vomit all over in order that they leave my beautifully co-ordinated tree alone! I'm such a bad mother smile

purplecrayon Sun 02-Dec-12 17:15:08

We have the Santa vomit look. The kids really like it.

MikeOxard Sun 02-Dec-12 17:18:33

Another vote for santa vomit. Tis not the season to be tasteful! grin

Zippylovesgeorge Sun 02-Dec-12 17:22:08

Santa vomit with added kitsch - I personally hate co-ordinated trees - so unpersonal.

LadybirdsAreFab Sun 02-Dec-12 17:23:22

For years I had a beautiful white and crystal Christmas tree. I now have a DD, she is 3.6 and this evening at the supermarket she begged me for purple tinsel. I gave in, we will have a Santa vomit tree this year)and for many more I suspect).

FawkesoidOrganisoid Sun 02-Dec-12 18:32:11

I have a 'nice' tree downstairs. The dc help me decorate it but it all goes. They have a tree in their room which their decorations go on (apart from the baby's first Christmas ones that are on my tree). They haven't made much stuff so far but that tends to go elsewhere rather than on a tree.

FeelingFestiveCheerMum Sun 02-Dec-12 18:52:46

Well, I've given myself a Chrimbo name change.....but still miss my naice tree

(Pours an extra large helping of sherry wine )

voddiekeepsmesane Sun 02-Dec-12 19:19:11

Is christmas not about the children...there will be years and years ahead when the children have grown up and gone that you can have the "perfect" tree. IMHO while they are young let them do the tree no matter how it turns out. It is only magical for a few precious years.

The tree must be sparkly, colourful, crowded, have at least three different colours of tinsel on and lots and lots of random decorations, such as decorated eggs and bells, small snowmen, large cloth dolly type things, cars, trains, teddy bears and wreaths made by the children, would not have it any other way.

PlaySchool Sun 02-Dec-12 19:50:48

Colourful and random is they way I like a tree.

Durab Sun 02-Dec-12 20:00:42

I used to love a co-ordinated tree, but there's no way I could ever have told my Dc that the offerings they brought home, from playgroup, nursery, school, weren't good enough to go on the tree. They've always had pride of place and I still bring them out, even though some now embarrass DS1 (which is even more fun grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now