Talk

Advanced search

Barn reared turkey or a bronze?

(5 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Sat 01-Dec-12 15:36:46

What are you getting and why?

We spent an obscene amount on a Kelly organic bronze last year which was lush but I can't justify that amount again! blush

Also will brining make a less amazing turkey taste better? confused

TheHouseofMirth Sat 01-Dec-12 17:23:29

Surely it's as much about the ethics as the taste? I'd feel awful eating something that had never even seen the light of day.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Dec-12 18:28:54

Not something I have to grapple with (DH and I are vegetarian ) but I do buy chicken for the DC. (Usually two Free Range chicken breasts)

Why not buy a couple of good, big Free Range chickens if you want the flavour and the ethics side.

A barn reared turkey - would the taste be worth the effort?

Or goose? How many are you cooking for?

Whenisitmysleepytime Sat 01-Dec-12 21:04:42

See I wasn't really sure what barn reared meant if I'm honest.
And I've no idea what ethical standards a bronze turkey has -unless it's labelled.

I'll be feeding 6 of us but dh loves leftovers so will get one that a fair but bigger than we would need. smile

I don't like goose so won't be cooking that. And dh is adamant that Christmas needs a turkey.

Maybe I need to research the ethical standards a bit more.... confused

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 01-Dec-12 21:42:14

I don't know about turkeys but I'd imagine the principle is the same as chickens.

Barn reared is kept inside 24/7. Artificial light. They can move about (unlike caged birds) but not like the space per bird with free range.

Are you buying from butchers/supermarket or online. You might be able to Google if it's Free Range?

Does your DH want the whole golden bird to carve at the table experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now