Talk

Advanced search

Pine cone Christmas decorations

(9 Posts)
getoffthecoffeetable Tue 20-Nov-12 20:16:36

So, I was reading on chat a while back and saw someone, sorry, can't remember who, said they were making homemade pine cone decorations this year. I thought it was a great idea at the time and was kicking myself that we didn't have anywhere I could get some pine cones, cue trip to the parents and a walk in the woods and DS and I now have a stash of pine cones but now I'm unsure how to do the decorations with DS (20 months).
Does anyone have any top tips? These would be lovely gifts for DS to give to family and friends (he picked up loads of cones!)
Thanks

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 20-Nov-12 20:45:49

I love these smile

First tip is to make sure they're really dry and don't have any beasties on them - spread them out of a few layers of newspaper and leave in the airing cupboard or next to a radiator for a few days until they're crisp (not damp).

The easiest way to decorate them then is to get cans of gold and silver spray paint and just spray them. When they're dry your DS can use a paintbrush to paint PVA glue on them (the more uneven the better so perfect for small children) and then roll in silver/gold/iridescent glitter. Lovely.

Blowninonabreeze Tue 20-Nov-12 20:50:14

In addition to above, if you get some Christmas/ red/ gold ribbon, cut short lengths, and fold into small loops pushing the rough ends into the spaces in the pine cone. Glue in place. Have done this with dd when she was almost 3. Add glitter etc.

Also if you glue a wooden clothes peg onto the bottom they sit nicely on branches if the Christmas tree.

Ilovecake1 Tue 20-Nov-12 20:57:53

What a lovely idea...we will be definitely going on a pine cone walk this weekend. My LO will love doing these.

getoffthecoffeetable Tue 20-Nov-12 21:35:11

Thank you for your top tips. Will have a trip to Hobby Craft tomorrow and will get cracking on these with DS. I'm sure he'll love doing these with me. Will get started on the pine cone drying tonight.
Thank you ever so much.

sommewhereelse Tue 20-Nov-12 21:56:57

We did this a few years ago and one of them found its way into the doll's house so they could have a Christmas tree too.

BiddyPop Wed 21-Nov-12 10:01:14

Oh sweet about the doll's tree!!

You could also let the DCs at it with a paper plate of paint (washable) to roll the cones in first, if you want a truly authentically child-made look, before letting them loose with the glitter. (And if you wanted a doll's house tree, could use green paint in particular - otherwise, whatever is in your craft tubs).

CaptainHoratioWragge Wed 21-Nov-12 10:08:10

Pine cones are my table theme this year for xmas so i'm having lots of home made gold sprayed ones. I've piled them all up in a cheap glass fishbowl type vase from Sainsburys, they look lovely, and I've just got these off amazon, they are stunning, they are going to be on each placesetting on top of the folded napkin!

getoffthecoffeetable Wed 21-Nov-12 17:38:36

They're lovely Captain we were kindly given some of those a few years ago for Christmas and they always live around the Christmas tree now. Wouldn't be Christmas without them.
Hhmm, might be adventurous and try the paint to roll the cones in too. Depends how brave I'm feeling on the day though Biddy
Cones on currently sat on the radiator, am getting impatient though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now