Talk

Advanced search

Meals to freeze

(6 Posts)
dietstartsmonday Mon 19-Nov-12 09:25:37

Hi all
Hoping to make the time between xmas and new years easy so stocking the freezer before with meals.

So am after ideas of what is easy to freeze and reheat in oven please

BiddyPop Mon 19-Nov-12 10:21:13

Lasagne is a good one and easy to sort cooking-wise (some garlic bread is handy to have frozen too).

Smoked haddock and brocolli pie (topped with mash potato, breadcrumbs, and grated cheese) freezes well too.

Pasta bake - pasta shapes left al dente with a cheese sauce and lots of veggies (fried mushrooms, fried onions and garlic, courgettes cooked with pasta for the last few mins, sweet peppers, peas, mange tout or sugar snaps, etc) and chopped bacon/ham - we make a huge pot of this to eat straight from the pot as "macaroni cheese", and freeze any leftovers to reheat and eat as "pasta bake" with a little grated cheese over the top.

Other dishes that we freeze and heat on the hob but have done in the freezer include:

Spag bol
Curries - rogan josh (lamb), chicken bhuna or chicken jalfrezi are all nice.
CHilli con carne is DH's addition to the freezer.

Another good one that is for the oven but from store cupboard items (and takes 3 minutes to prep - seriously) is chorizo potatoes. In a large bowl or the oven-proof dish, mix together 1 bag of salad baby potatoes, 1 jar of tomato and chilli sauce (we like the Sacla one with whole cherry toms), chopped chorizo (we use half of a U-shaped one from Lidl) and some bacon pieces (optional, we use 1 of the 2-portion pack from Lidl, using leftover Christmas ham works well too). Stir together, (put on oven-proof dish if necessary) and roast at 180 degrees C for 1 hr (or until spuds cooked through). Serve with creme fraiche (to take down heat for delicate palates).

Mspontipine Mon 19-Nov-12 10:21:32

Ooh shepherd's pie for me please smile

BiddyPop Mon 19-Nov-12 10:24:50

Sorry, I meant to say those latter recipes are ones we've frozen and usually done on the hob but have reheated in the oven with foil over as well which has been fine.

girlywhirly Mon 19-Nov-12 10:29:13

Stews and casseroles, curries, lasagne, bolognese, chilli, shepherds/cottage pie. I would defrost all these thoroughly before you reheat them. You could also make large sausage rolls which are ready to bake, and soups for filling lunches.

If you like fruit crumbles, you can freeze the crumble part in a freezer bag, when you need it thaw it and simply pour over your fruit in an oven proof dish to bake. It is better to freeze crumble and fruit separately I find. Sandwich cakes can be frozen too, after baking.

dietstartsmonday Mon 19-Nov-12 10:42:14

Thank you, this has given me some ideas to work on!

Just want to be able to relax a bit myself!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now