Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present for 18mo who loves to screw and unscrew...

(16 Posts)
PPL Sun 18-Nov-12 20:20:03

I thought about getting him a wooden tool box but they are all age 3+.

Presumably because they have small parts...

He is actually obsessed with things that screw and unscrew so thought maybe I could risk it... those little nuts and bolts would entertain him for hours, but having to supervise would ruin it for me! Any safer ideas?

Thanks!

healstorturepeople Sun 18-Nov-12 20:22:03

You can get jigsaws that have different types of locks to work out. Some un screw etc. Each lock is different. All attached so no small pieces he could swallow.

healstorturepeople Sun 18-Nov-12 20:24:32

Something like this: www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug-13785-Latches-Board/dp/B0026ZPTYY/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1353270184&sr=8-28

It says 3 years and up but no removable parts if I remember rightly.

Sirzy Sun 18-Nov-12 20:26:25

http://www.elc.co.uk/Build-It-Construction-Starter-Set/115621,default,pd.html

DS has just got this for his birthday, comes with big screws and things which he can fasten and unfasten and then as he gets older he can start building with them.

Sirzy Sun 18-Nov-12 20:26:40

www.elc.co.uk/Build-It-Construction-Starter-Set/115621,default,pd.html

working link this time!

zgaze Sun 18-Nov-12 20:28:41

These are the ultimate present for a baby that loves screws www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001VUF9E
My DS was like this and I got these for him when he was 15 months, he still loves them now at 3.3

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 18-Nov-12 20:28:55

[[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004EBU2PY/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353270499&sr=8-14&pi=SL75 toddler macano]] ?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 18-Nov-12 20:29:47

meant Mecano

jojane Sun 18-Nov-12 20:32:17

We have a wooden toy that has big buys and bolts and you can make it into a car/ boat/ digger etc, has a wooden screwdriver and none of the parts are small enough to swallow- smallest part is size of baby bel

PPL Sun 18-Nov-12 20:52:44

wow so many great ideas and so quick! Thank you mumsnet! I love that construction set Sirzy - how old is your DS and would it be too old for 18mo?

And I'm loving the Plan Toys thing Zgaze

And the jigsaw is also a great idea healstorturepeople!

Spoilt for choice...

Sirzy Sun 18-Nov-12 20:53:24

He got it for his 3rd birthday last week. My 18 month old nephew has had a great time screwing and unscrewing bits!

hophophippidtyhop Mon 19-Nov-12 00:16:19

My dd has these - they screw and unscrew!

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Mon 19-Nov-12 00:20:50

DS has this and loves it. It is also 3+ but I just supervise him while he uses it.

He's just nearly 14 months.

orchidee Mon 19-Nov-12 01:11:42

My 18mo has the ELC construction set and it's ideal. Our set is the same as the one currently on sale, but in an old-style box that says its for age 2-6. It's exactly the same though. We also have junior meccano which is age 2+ (found in tkmaxx, it's not on meccano's website for some reason, maybe discontinued?) Anyway the ELC set is better, the kit is easier to use with more options of things to make.

orchidee Mon 19-Nov-12 01:19:07

Just to be clear, my 18mo is happy just handling the toy screwdriver and spanner that come with the ELC set and putting nuts and bolts randomly into the construction pieces that have holes. The adults in his life are having great fun making the various models that are possible with the kit. I think the reason it's now advertised as 3+ could be that a younger child can't make the models, not that it's unsafe for a younger child if you supervise them. The smallest part is a nut for the bolt and the nut is maybe 2cm diameter so unsafe if unsupervised.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Mon 19-Nov-12 11:24:53

I agree Orchidee I think it is the same for the ELC car as well. There isn't really anything that small and it can be used as a push along walker! hmm

When I bought it, I bought it ex display with no box and I just thought it was a walker, I didn't know you could screw/unscrew everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now