Talk

Advanced search

Xmas wishes

(12 Posts)
Ahardyfool Fri 16-Nov-12 20:25:54

Because I've lost my job this week, and therefore will have no money, I asked my DC to write Xmas wish lists of things that are toys/wrapped up gifts.

They struggled with this initially hmm probably due to having been expecting nerf guns and the like but please may I share their lists...

Trip to cinema to see Xmas movie
Not tidying
Cooked breakfast on Xmas day
Turkey
Big family snowball fight
Apple sauce
Making mince pies
Nice cosy pyjamas
Playing game of life
Hot chocolate
Making a house out of snow
Giving a goat to a poor family

Ahardyfool Fri 16-Nov-12 20:26:23

I was just yanking ya chain with the last one.

ahardyfool I'm sorry to hear you lost your job. It always happens at this time of year too. I don't know why it's harder, but the new year often brings recruitment budgets back to life, so hang on in there!

if you can, try and enjoy the break and extra time with your family. The list is super and they sound lovely.

I am a bit sick of the consumption being forced down my throat this year. Although ds only wants one toy this year, it isn't cheap. We sorted all of his "baby" toys and he will be selling them in a kids toy market at the beginning of the month. He can choose to put it towards presents or give it to the school charity. He is organizing the sale and running his stall.

We are doing a lot of home baking rather than huge food shops and freezing in advance. Actually baking is something I turned to heavily when I was made redundant. It is an amazing stress reliever and makes me feel busy, purposeful and peaceful. Like a form of creative meditation!

There a lots of things you can do to create special memories and save money. We are planning a games afternoon where everyone brings something for the buffet. We are also having a few forest walks with stops for hot choc, marshmallows, homemade shortbread, sausages over a fire pit.

You could look on wowcher or similar websites for some cheap activities, cheap cinema tickets (do you have club are vouchers you can spend for example?)

I am looking forward to the cinema trip, to see Rise of the Guardians. The clips look awesome. Make some pop corn and take in cartons of drinks and treats so that you don't she'll out for those eye watering treats.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Don't take the goat to the cinema though, too disruptive. wink

loubielou31 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:21:38

I am reminded of a gift I made for DH years ago. I based it around the twelve days of Christmas and printed out little vouchers with things on it but I got twelve little boxes and put a voucher in each one. It was things like breakfast in bed or a cinema trip.
I might do it again this year.

loubielou31 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:26:01

could you/I put them inside a balloon and then blow it up so you have to pop the balloon to find out the treat?

Ahardyfool Sat 17-Nov-12 18:14:48

Lol @ goat in cinema!

Like the ballon idea. 3 yr old DD would especially love that.

If you are doing the balloon thing, blow the balloons up before you put in the wish.

If you put the paper in before, it whizzes around fast inside the balloon, and the sharp edge of the paper pierces it and it explodes in your face.

<<experienced>>

Or get the goat to do it...

Ahardyfool Sat 17-Nov-12 19:01:38

God, who would have thought that could happen?!! Thanks for top tip.

Funnily enough, I've always wanted a goat. Or a donkey.

In our local garden centre they have life size reindeer. They are about 200 quid incredibly kitsch in -a-- beckoning me to buy way

Ah, but you could wrap some led lights around the goat, and train him to stand very still. Add some antler style deelyboppers....

<<clever>>

Ahardyfool Sat 17-Nov-12 19:08:50

Now you say that, I have a 9 yr old that is easily persuaded towards idiocy. He could crouch in the garden from mid December onwards with said LED adornment.

Get that one in a balloon - "spend the day as a Christmas garden statue".

Put a few in for yourself too though? Like bake a cake for mum, or make mum cups of tea for the day....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now