Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Soaking fruit for cake - advice from experts needed!

(4 Posts)
Noren Fri 16-Nov-12 16:35:34

Put some fruit to soak in alcohol for my cake a few days ago. Does anyone know whether I will get better results for soaking the fruit for longer before I bake the cake, or from baking the cake soon, to have it to feed for longer?

Also, does anyone know if it matters that I have used a total random mixture of whiskey, fruit wine, and brandy for the alcohol content?

BirdyArms Fri 16-Nov-12 16:40:29

It definitely doesn't matter much what mixture of booze you use for the soaking. You will taste the alcohol you feed it with more so maybe use whichever you prefer but again it would be fine to use a mixture.

I think that once your fruit has been soaking for a few days it will have absorbed all the alcohol it's going to and so it would be better to cook it and start feeding.

Noren Fri 16-Nov-12 22:41:55

That's comforting smile Am just not organised to start any earlier. Thank you!

BestestBrownies Fri 16-Nov-12 22:45:37

I'm afraid I have to contradict BirdyArms and say that if you can leave the fruit to soak (covered and preferably airtight), for at least a week (but more if possible), this will improve the flavour of your cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now