Talk

Advanced search

Should I do my 23mth ds a stocking - Do toddlers 'get' the whole christmas thing??

(10 Posts)
AlphaBeta82 Fri 16-Nov-12 14:13:36

did your toddlers get the whole christmas thing, will he understand santa and stockings etc? I want to do a stocking but dh doesn't think it is worth it this year as ds won't understand. Any experiences??

SamSmalaidh Fri 16-Nov-12 14:15:52

I did a stocking for 17 month old DS last year - sure it was more for us than him, but he still loved opening everything! It was a lovely experience and memories for us to open his presents with him in bed on Christmas morning.

whistlestopcafe Fri 16-Nov-12 14:16:14

I did a stocking for ds at 4 months blush

AlphaBeta82 Fri 16-Nov-12 14:18:21

Sam that has just made me smile at the thought of it! We did do a sort of stocking thing last year abd he does have an advent calendar this year, it is just we are really, really tight for money this year so I was just wondering if other parents did stockings etc

Cakecrumbsinmybra Fri 16-Nov-12 14:18:29

He won't really get that it is "Christmas", but he will totally love opening presents. Do it! DS1 had a lovely time at his first proper Xmas (just turned 2) and now DS2 has just turned 2 and I expect he will love it this year too. Enjoy! Bah humbag to your DH wink

thingamajig Fri 16-Nov-12 14:19:15

Yes, do him a stocking, but no, he won't understand. But you will enjoy starting a tradition, you will enjoy opening it together and there will be lovely photos to look back on. Make sure wrapping paper is not too well done, and that everything is in a ready to play state (wire tags out, batteries in). Hope you have a lovely time.

AlphaBeta82 Fri 16-Nov-12 14:20:02

Hehe, thanks cake though think DH is more excited about christmas than DS as he has spent the last month building him a fantastic farm from scratch as his present!! Farm animals and tractors etc would make good stocking gifts...

thingamajig Fri 16-Nov-12 14:21:12

On the subject, any brilliant ideas for stocking presents for this age, I've just realised I have done dd1, but not the twins (21 months)

AlphaBeta82 Fri 16-Nov-12 14:24:28

Thanks everyone, easily convinced me it is not a silly idea! I am even going to make him a homemade stocking to start our tradition properly! grin

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 16-Nov-12 14:30:28

I've got two older ones ( 9 and 6) and my sisters two little ones (both 5)staying for Christmas so my little one, she'll be 23 months, will be getting a stocking because she is desperate to be like the big ones.

My lessons learnt are she'll only have a few bits in it because each item she opens she'll play with not grasping that there is more to rip open, in the way the older ones do. Infact I've decided not to wrap all of her presents because when the other four have been this age I've been the one to do the opening as they get overwhelmed.

I will wrap in tissue paper with no tape tied with a bowed ribbon so she can do the opening.

She'll have a couple of chocolate coins, not a whole bag, because she isn't going to get saving some till later would probably eat all of them given half a chance and as soon as my back was turned would leave pools of chocolate dribble/ sick for the others to run through and tread into carpets around the house.

Definitely second get rid of outer packaging prior to wrapping and install batteries prior to wrapping.

Definitely have the camera ready so you can get cute shots for the album.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now