Talk

Advanced search

What are you buying for your fellow mum-friends?

(32 Posts)
berri Fri 16-Nov-12 03:49:48

I just want a little gesture so nothing expensive or large to carry! I suppose 10 quid absolute maximum!

For instance I got one of them a little mug with a hot choc set inside, but I need a few different ideas and am stuck.

Any thoughts?

ilovetermtime Fri 16-Nov-12 06:41:28

I'm looking for ideas too! Sorry, not much help am I?!

I'll keep thinking and let you know if I come up with anything smile

Hattie11 Fri 16-Nov-12 06:58:36

Nothing! Got enough other people to buy for!

Bunbaker Fri 16-Nov-12 06:59:09

Nothing. We don't buy for each other.

EugenesAxe Fri 16-Nov-12 07:37:10

Nothing. But I saw these spatulas in a shop the other day that I think are very fun, and a well made bit of kit. This is actually just one design; there are others and not all macabre...

exoticfruits Fri 16-Nov-12 07:44:34

Nothing- we cut right down on present buying.

firemansamsmam Fri 16-Nov-12 08:01:42

I am making everyone mini Christmas cakes because I am into cake decorating. I'm going to wrap them in cellophane to hopefully get a presentable gift. I collected small baked bean tins and cooked them last weekend, will cost less than a fiver each. I think you can get away with being really cheap if you give homemade presents!

We also decide between us in advance that nobody spends more than a fiver.

ggirl Fri 16-Nov-12 08:04:51

I buy for three friends , I usually get a nice lipstick /eyeliner pen / scarf or something like that.

These are my oldest and dearest friends not just mums from school etc.

DilysPrice Fri 16-Nov-12 08:10:28

Nothing. We'll bring wine and chocs round when we go for New Year, Xmas drinks, but not actual Xmas presents, never have.

oreocrumbs Fri 16-Nov-12 08:57:21

Nothing as a rule, we buy the children small gifts instead.

This year I am giving some friends home made plum gin and rhubarb vodka.

Pagwatch Fri 16-Nov-12 08:59:48

Nothing. We all like each other enough to neither burden the other with an extra gift to buy or to risk embaressing each other if someone dosen't buy.

Piffpaffpoff Fri 16-Nov-12 09:01:55

Nothing!

schilke Fri 16-Nov-12 09:30:08

Nothing!

berri Fri 16-Nov-12 10:36:28

Thanks for feedback - I do 'actually like them' pag, hmm I was just looking for some ideas as I got caught out last year when I received a couple and didn't have anything to give back in return and it was totally embarrassing.

We have moved to the USA recently and I think over here it's more the done thing, hence me not having anything for them last Christmas.

Meglet Fri 16-Nov-12 10:37:23

nothing.

berri Fri 16-Nov-12 10:40:51

Maybe I should have worded the title differently to say "looking for ideas for presents under a tenner for women of a child-bearing age" !!

Pagwatch Fri 16-Nov-12 10:46:50

I didn't mean that you don't like them.
I meant we know and like each other well enough to have discussed it.

And whilst you like them, you say you were 'caught out' last year - so the gifts were not 100% welcome were they? Which was my point really. Not snarky or sneery, so the hmm face wasn't really necessary.

Perhaps it is the norm where you live now, and as you had not been there long enough to know that i don't think anyone would have minded about last year.
What did you get? The gifts you got would be a good indicator of what is expected. Do you know any friends well enough now to chat about it.

berri Fri 16-Nov-12 11:25:32

No the presents weren't welcome, or expected. It was embarrassing! I didn't say they were welcome or that I thought it was a good thing to do, my post was just looking for ideas for inexpensive gifts.

When you said you liked each other enough not to get gifts, it obviously to me sounded like we don't like each other! As i said, it wasn't a thread to ask whether or not to buy, but rather looking for inspiration. Forgive me if I'm being paranoid - 5am here and preg insomnia may be clouding me.

smile

schilke Fri 16-Nov-12 11:29:00

Well, I would have a stash of presents as stand bys then - candles, chocs, wine, hand cream. Not particularly exciting, but at least you won't be caught out.

willyoulistentome Fri 16-Nov-12 11:31:31

Nope - nothing. Too much else to worry about, and too little dosh to go around for pressie's I really do want to buy. They wouldn't expect it and wouldn't give me anything either.

I only do two:

one is my oldest friend and I get a family present, so something like stuff to make nachos, or a DVD night or something; other I tend to get good quality smellies or a book, plus Hotel Chocolate chocs.

hurricanewyn Fri 16-Nov-12 18:39:42

Not the same, but last year I got the teachers a box of the instant sachets that Starbucks sell between them. I got them a mug each, split the sachets & put them in the mug along with a chocolate stirrer from Costa. Wrapped in cellophane they looked quite nice.

berri Fri 16-Nov-12 19:46:18

Thanks for the suggestions - the Starbucks one is a good idea and I love the thought of the mini Christmas cakes.

Maybe DS can have beans on toast a few times in the next couple of weeks so I can collect the cans smile

piprabbit Fri 16-Nov-12 19:49:22

I'm not buying anything this year, but in the past I have bought these Neals Yard handcreams and split them into 3 individual presents. They are very lovely handcreams and my hands are perpetually dry from washing up etc.

BeaWheesht Fri 16-Nov-12 19:54:06

Republic have loads of sale items just now and free delivery today. here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now