Talk

Advanced search

Best Christmas Smelling Candle?

(22 Posts)
WotWot Thu 15-Nov-12 22:49:25

Have recently got into Yankee Candles and oooo, they do really fill the room! Can anyone recommend a lovely Christmassy (but not overpowering) fragranced candle - Yankee or other - that will last for the whole of December but is not too sickly? First time ever for us with an artificial tree but don't want a 'pinefresh loo cleaner' stink candle in the living-room!

duletty Thu 15-Nov-12 22:55:15

The only one to have is a dipytque pomander...very pricey and posh though...have to smell it at inlaws though as I can't bring myself to spend £38 on a candle, beautiful orange and cinnamon aroma that isn't synthetic and smells wonderful

WotWot Thu 15-Nov-12 23:00:03

Sounds wonderful but at that price I'd have to sniff someone else's too. One day....

PeppermintLatte Thu 15-Nov-12 23:15:06

The sparkling cinammon yankee candle is so beautiful, i'm getting myself one at beginning of december.

In the meantime i use the glade ones, cheap enough to buy every week. The glistening snow & spiced apple are both fabulous.

Viperidae Thu 15-Nov-12 23:21:39

I love Noel by Crabtree and Evelyn, it is gorgeous and less cinnamon-y than a lot of the others because I don't like scents too spicy.

Of the cheaper ones I quite like M&S Frankinsence and Myrrh

Scuttlebutter Thu 15-Nov-12 23:24:38

L'Occitane do a lovely one - it's called Rameau d'hiver, Winter Forest. It's a little bit different and not too piney.

I also like the Yankee Cinnamon ones, and they do one called I think it's Cranberry Chutney which is very nice.

ash6605 Thu 15-Nov-12 23:41:21

I have an oil/tart burner for every room in the house and just stock up on all of the xmas Yankee tarts(they're about £1 each) and use a different one every few days

ChestyNutsRoastingAnOpenFire Fri 16-Nov-12 08:58:41

I love Yankee candles.

What about the Christmas memories set? Lots of different scented Christmas sampler candles. Hoping someone buys me it for my birthday grin
Can't pick a favourite as they're all yummy!

Also really like the blackberry and fig glade colour Changing candle ( on rollback at Asda)

chimchar Fri 16-Nov-12 09:36:21

I love the sparkling cinnamon one too.

I have Christmas Eve which is lovely, and also red apple wreath which is nice.
I do love strong spicey smells though...

Ash...can I ask how you change the tarts in your burners? Mine tend to be properly stuck in and the melt very quickly, so even if I pull the tart out once its loose, the wax stays in the bottom if you know what I mean...

I love my burners, but I find candles much easier.

DewDr0p Fri 16-Nov-12 10:01:32

Nowhere near as nice as Dyptique but this one smells good. And is rather more affordable!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Fri 16-Nov-12 10:09:38

The White Company's Winter scent is lovely, it's not cheap but less than the Dyptique one! One year I had the little votives, but last year I got the room spray instead as it seemed like it would work out cheaper than the candles, and is safer to use when the DCs are around.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 16-Nov-12 10:12:24

YY Yankee Sparkling Cinnamon I much prefer it to Cinnamon Stick

Christmas Cookie smells much nicer burning than when it's raw.

Red Apple wreath Spiced Apple Cider.

I've ordered a set of the "Mix" candles from QVC (they are basically a mix of scents, so much cheaper- £27 + p&p for 3 large jars)

But I will be buying a Sparkling Cinnamon too wink

Ragwort Fri 16-Nov-12 10:12:33

Another vote for sparkling cinnamon, it's lovely (but our local Yankee stockist has sold out of them sad).

ChestyNutsRoastingAnOpenFire Fri 16-Nov-12 11:21:00

chimchar pop the burner in freezer for 10 mins and tart just falls off.

littleladyindoors Fri 16-Nov-12 11:23:59

I love the new cranberry ice, thats lovely I have that burning now
Spiced Orange is nice, we started burning that when we put our tree up last year, very strong tho, we only lasted an hour!!
I second a tart burner, we have all sorts of smells going then, and you can test out what they are like in the house before you buy a big candle. Found my favourite that way- yay for Bahama Breeze
Chimchar- my hubby uses a knife and they just pop out, but bung them in the freezer for 10 mins, does the same thing. You can melt them, then pour them out, but I think it is a pain in the bum so I dont do it.

chimchar Fri 16-Nov-12 15:16:43

Thanks everyone.

SaidFlorence Fri 16-Nov-12 15:18:24

Yankee Candle Winter Wonderland is gorgeous, but I second the Glade Glistening Snow suggestion. Only £2 in Morrisons just now too.

lucamom Fri 16-Nov-12 15:22:04

Has to be Yankee Sparkling snow - so evocative of my childhood (smells like the fake snow my mom used to spray on the tree, but much nicer - doesn't make sense, but if you get to a yankee stockist and have a sniff, you'll see it's the only xmas fragrance.)

Then do what I do when you find the fragrance you love - stock up in the January sales! It's very sad but I'm alway to be found in my local garden centre on boxing day morning for the half price sale, buying all the gorgeous xmas things I coveted but were too pricey!

parsnipcake Fri 16-Nov-12 15:22:49

Yankee Christmas eve is my favourite candle. I have 3 sitting in my cupboard waiting for december.

Ragwort Fri 16-Nov-12 15:52:21

Some good offes on the 'Yankee Doodle' site (sorry, can't link) - have to pay postage but still makes it worthwhile. Just bought my own Christmas present grin.

Also 20% off at Debenhams and no P & P.

ClementineandLilac Fri 16-Nov-12 15:54:17

Mandarin and cranberry just Devine and there is also a cinnamon one which is gorge and not overpowering!

ClementineandLilac Fri 16-Nov-12 15:54:33

I ordered mine from amazon btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now