Talk

Advanced search

Marble run recommendation please

(21 Posts)
fruitcorner Thu 15-Nov-12 21:57:48

Can anyone recommend a good marble run, my youngest is 5 years old - is that getting to old for marble run?

DewDr0p Thu 15-Nov-12 21:59:24

I'd say not too old at all. Ds2 got a set last Christmas (when he was 5) and only really got into it in the summer - it's had lots of use since.

Ours is ELC called Marble Madness I think. It's pretty good.

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 22:00:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScramblyEgg Thu 15-Nov-12 22:05:08

DS recently got this one for his 4th birthday:

www.amazon.co.uk/Marbulous-Marble-Run-Piece-Marbles/dp/B0069TP2VS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353016966&sr=8-2

It's brilliant - fits together easily, is quite sturdy & has propellors too.

Arkady Thu 15-Nov-12 22:07:37

We've had one for ages, but DS1 still loves it. But then we've gone with the buy them cheap stack them high approach. Had a medium size one a couple of years ago. Last year my dad got us a load of the Tobar one at a car boot sale. We can now get ours to 7 feet high, and it takes over a minute for a ball to get down. Or we often have more then one route through it going on at once, which is particularly satisfying.

I agree with the get lots of marbles comment. One marble going down is ok, but a hoard is wonderful.

Ours still gets lots of play from visiting kids (and parents) too.

BikeRunSki Thu 15-Nov-12 22:10:28

Get a plastic one that slots together. We have one which is wooden blocks with holes i. Looks nice, falls apart if you breathe near it. much 4 y o upset etc.

Ours is the last one of these. Don't do it! Get something like the first.

And save all those little bags of marbles you get in crackers.

fruitcorner Thu 15-Nov-12 22:22:59

Bikerunski , that's interesting , I was thinking that a wooden one would be sturdier than plastic one do thanks for the tip!

Quip Thu 15-Nov-12 22:25:22

We have quadrilla wooden one. Fab for older children and very sturdy

acsec Thu 15-Nov-12 22:28:10

My whole class (4 - 5 yr olds) LOVE the marble run and my 8yo DSS loves to play with it when it's out. I think it's an ELC one plastic and pretty hard wearing.

bedmonster Thu 15-Nov-12 22:28:47

We also have the quadrilla, it's amazing and you can get all sorts of extension and connector packs. It's wooden and I find it more sturdy than the plastic one we used to have. And my dds are 6 and 8 and still get loads of fun out of ours so 5 is nowhere near too old!

FawkesoidOrganisoid Thu 15-Nov-12 22:28:55

We have the galt big one. Also got the elc one but found it flimsy and it didn't fit together so well. Galt much better.

BestLaidPlans Fri 16-Nov-12 07:55:35

If you do want the Galt one, Ocado have them in their buy one get one free toy sale. If you aren't already an Ocado shopper and you're happy to PM me your email address I can send you a £20 off voucher, so it would be free.

Loulousmummy Fri 16-Nov-12 09:51:48

I've had the bigger Galt one in my wish list on Amazon for ages, it was a reasonable ten poundish when I added it but it's £19.99 now. Why don't I just buy things when I see them at a good price.

Tikkabillajive Fri 16-Nov-12 10:04:00

The Galt super marble run is utterly fantastic (sorry Loulousmummy! Keep an eye on Amazon though as the price may well go down again. I'd say it's worth it even at £19.99 though.)

It is very sturdy and easy to put together, and has some fun bits like the big round dish that all the marbles spin around in - it adds an element of excitement as the first marble into the dish isn't always the first one out at the bottom. DS had it when he was just 3 and needed our help with it - he's nearly 5 now and can make amazing structures by himself. We have amassed a huge collection of marbles over the years too (you def need more than the ones that come in the box). It's a fabulous toy. I've often thought of buying a second set so that he can make even more configurations but he doesn't seem to have got bored with it yet!

Oh and 5 definitely isn't too old to get one - DS really enjoys it more now that he can put it together himself, and his 7yo sister really enjoys playing with it too - it's even very satisfying to play with as an adult!

Loulousmummy Fri 16-Nov-12 10:38:22

I might just have to pay that. Can't see it coming down before Christmas. Dd will love it. She still plays with the chad valley toddler one that's kept at Grandmas house.

JellyBellies Fri 16-Nov-12 10:42:45

Another vote for the Galt. We bought it for my 3 year old and we all play with it!

JellyBellies Fri 16-Nov-12 10:44:12

This one
[[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00000IVXP]]

Tikkabillajive Fri 16-Nov-12 10:56:15

Well it's worth it at that price - although annoying that it was so much cheaper, that always happens to me with Amazon too!

Loulousmummy Fri 16-Nov-12 11:16:20

Just found the Galt one on Debenhams. £15.84 with discount code and free delivery! Chuffed!

MrsJamin Fri 16-Nov-12 13:12:06

The Galt one is only £10.99 on ocado and if you get another toy you get another 25% off. Seems like amazing value.

Loulousmummy Fri 16-Nov-12 13:15:19

It's only a small one from Ocado though. I'd probably have bought it if they deliver to my area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now