Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Lunch/Dinner

(8 Posts)
pussycatsruleok Thu 15-Nov-12 17:05:29

Why has the great Christmas feast become Christmas Lunch. For most of my life its been Christmas Dinner. It seems to kind of downgrade it. All the effort,planning,time and money which goes into creating this most important of meals and then someone,somewhere said 'oh we shouldn't call this a dinner because we eat in the middle(ish) of the day therefore, it must be a lunch. We must rename it Christmas Lunch.' I say bring back Christmas Dinner. It is a great big fat dinner not a piddling little light lunch.

Nope - it's still Christmas Dinner here, whatever time it's eaten (usually about 2 o' clock for us).

Mingeathulu Thu 15-Nov-12 21:43:50

'Salways been dinner here too - although my mum goes way overboard by suggesting that everyone should dress up - I wouldn't mind but she's a non-practising Jew! grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 15-Nov-12 21:46:57

Christmas Dinner.
Must be dark outside (so no 2pm before the Queens Speech for us)
Must have candles, crackers and party poppers
Must be finished before DR Who (DH and DS retire to the front room to watch it)
wink

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 15-Nov-12 21:47:24

we still call it dinner but we do eat it at dinner time (5/6ish)

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 15-Nov-12 21:49:37

We call it dinner but we usually have it mid/ late afternoon because we have ham for breakfast then champagne and canapés when we open presents late morning.

Santasinmypudenda Fri 16-Nov-12 07:48:59

Dinner here too

Eat about 2-3 ish would eat later but dh is on call every christmas afternoon/evening and I dont want him to
Miss eating with us

Tuppence2 Fri 16-Nov-12 08:06:19

Its always been Christmas Dinner in our house and we have it at 1 or 2pm. Pudding is usually had about 4pm and if you want anything later on, its a rummage through the fridge for whatever you to pick at

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now