Talk

Advanced search

6 year old doesn't believe in santa anymore, please help

(9 Posts)
littlemoon14 Wed 14-Nov-12 22:19:16

my friend son was told by someone at school that santa is not true. she has tried at tell him otherwise but he is having none of it. any ideas how she can turn him back to a believer

ISeeThreadPeople Wed 14-Nov-12 22:21:46

I wouldn't try and do anything tbh.

Christmas is about more than the beardy man with the sack. Maybe it's time to just let it come to an end.

Startail Wed 14-Nov-12 22:33:37

Smart lad.
Was never brought up to believe in Santa.

I still love Christmas

WordsPuttingIntoSentenceDoing Wed 14-Nov-12 22:39:43

I agree. I wouldn't do anything.

I dont think it is uncommon to stop believing by 6, especially when there are older siblings.

I agree, once it's over they won't thank you for reinventing a lie.

She just needs to change tack, he is a good boy and he deserves come presents, but he still should be on his best behaviour for his mum and dad.

baconsandwich Wed 14-Nov-12 23:38:29

Same thing happened to mys sister and her DD. She just asked her if she wanted to believe? Yes, said DD. "Well then" said Mum, "if you want to believe, then it's true."

morethanpotatoprints Wed 14-Nov-12 23:50:10

My ds now 17 told me when he was 9 that FC didn't exist. So I didn't try to argue or convince him.
He is so gullable usually, so I was surprised.
A few weeks ago we were talking about the subject as we have dd aged 8.
My son said how he wished we had convinced him as he'd only heard an older child say, and he'd have believed for longer as his peers were believing up to and including y6.
I think it depends on the child, I know my dd would be mortified if we told her,. Its also a very personal subject to each family and religion so something that you can't really argue about.
Baconsandwich, I think I would say similar now.

PandaWatch Thu 15-Nov-12 12:15:41

I remember when I was about 8 sort of knowing that he didn't exist but still wanting to believe and managing to convince myself for a bit longer. Around that time, one of my friends got told by another child that he didn't exist and was really upset. I asked her if her dad told her he was real, she said yes, and I said something along the lines of "well that settles it then" (because Dads know all right?! grin)and she cheered up. Years later she brought it up and said although she kind of knew it gave her a reason to keep believing a bit longer.

I think for a lot of children it's a gradual realisation but I've never met anyone who was emotionally scarred by adults trying to convince them FC is real and I do think a lot of children, when they get to 6 or 7 kind of know but want to be convinced so they can still enjoy all the excitement it brings.

Does your friend know about the NORAD Santa tracker? Or what about one of those online videos you can do where FC sends a "personalised" message to the child?

LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Thu 15-Nov-12 13:45:17

This is why we're do the elf business this year. Ds1 (6 in December) has been told by older children and is quite upset. FC has heard about this and is sending 2 elves (for ds1 and his younger brother) now that ds1 is 'old enough' to look after them properly.

Also, dh and I do not believe in a god. Ds1 believes very strongly so we've linked it to it being OK that people believe different things and that you have to decide for yourself iyswim grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now