Talk

Advanced search

Bike size

(8 Posts)
dotty8 Tue 13-Nov-12 19:59:08

Could anyone recommend bikes sizes for my children aged 2.5 yrs and 4.5 yrs?

UniS Tue 13-Nov-12 20:04:43

Children's bike sizes are generally given by wheel size. Frame sizes vary wildly, the only really reliable way to know if they will fit a bike is to try it OR buy a bike from a good manufacturer who gives full size spec info ( like Islabike or specialized)

Assuming your children are of average suture...
2.5 yr old - look at 12 inch wheels.
4.5 - 16 inch wheels.

MrsWooster Tue 13-Nov-12 20:08:40

Halfords have a size chart and will advise - very helpful. I almost feel bad about then going and buying it somewhere else...

Fillybuster Tue 13-Nov-12 20:10:44

Don't use Halfords - overpriced and very heavy bikes....I made that mistake with dcs first bike and none of them have really been able to ride it properly.

Check out your local independent bike shops - they should be fairly competitive and be able to give you good advice, too.

tassisssss Tue 13-Nov-12 20:15:05

Halfords are helpful as you can get the kids to try out the bike (then buy elsewhere if you like).

I'd say 12 inch for the 2.5 and maybe just 14 inch for the 4.5 year old. 16 inch is what my 6 year old is on and she's fairly tall (admittedly she could go up a size). My 4 year old has both a 12 and a 14 inch at her disposal so we have the stabilisers on the bigger one and off the wee one.

IME of teaching 2 to cycle without stabilisers they will learn better if they are almost too big for the bike. Once they learn by all means get them a bit that's too big for them but until then, they feel more in control if they can easily get on and off and can get their feet fully on the ground.

UniS Tue 13-Nov-12 20:30:11

2nding Halfords kids bike are crazy heavy. Try and find a bike that weighs LESS than half the child's weight.

4.5 yr old will fit a 14inch, but tend by 5.5 will tend to look MUCH to big for them.

DS had a 20 inch from age 5 ( small frame) as well as a junker 16 hand me down. Some of his friends are still on 14 inch and they get very bad speed wobbles on the small wheels with the saddle way up and kids knees still bent.

Fillybuster Tue 13-Nov-12 20:51:36

Yes, better to get the right size (rather than 'they'll grow into them' sizes) at this stage, and a better/bigger one once they can actually ride.

DS finally mastered the 14" wheels he got when he was 4 without stabilisers when he was already somewhat too big for the bike (just before he turned 6), but now has a lovely 20" set of wheels that will last him a good while. Now DD1 (4.5) has inherited the same bike...

DD2 (2.5) is still happy on her tricycle. Do you really need a bike for your lo?

dotty8 Thu 15-Nov-12 13:18:53

Thanks a lot guys. Really helpful comments. Think Ill go 12 & 14" and avoid Halfords. 4 yrs old is rather petite of 14" should be right. Maybe buy locally and if not right return it. The reason teh 2.5 yr old is getting a bike is to avoid any fights and take them both out together on the bikes. Thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now