Talk

Advanced search

'Big' present from Santa - always necessary?

(20 Posts)
princessnumber2 Tue 13-Nov-12 12:37:21

Just that really. My 6 year old dd has a bike, scooter, roller skates and when asked what she might ask Santa for said she doesn't really want anything in particular and would be happy with anything he brought her. She doesn't really play with plastic toys. Have had very generous gifts and cast offs from family and friends but sylvanians, playmobile and Lego are virtually untouched. She mostly role plays schools and offices and have given her all sorts of kit to support this. I feel she's too young for expensive gadgets and computer type stuff (but don't judge those who disagree!)

So, I have lots of ideas for small presents that she'd love but nothing in the bike/scooter/DS type area.

And when I say big, I don't just mean cash wise, I mean single item big impact.

Does everyone always get a separate big present for their 6 year olds?

Thank you!

Yika Tue 13-Nov-12 12:41:07

God no. Get what you think she'd enjoy! I think what counts is that you asked her, and have made clear she can have a bigger present if she wants. So she won't feel hard done by!

Nicknamegrief Tue 13-Nov-12 12:42:56

We've never really done the big present thing. I think if there is nothing that can be classed as 'big' that they either really need or want then its just for the sake of it.

Most young children are still more into quantity anyway.

Sounds like your daughter will be very happy with her gifts.

Theas18 Tue 13-Nov-12 12:44:19

Santa does the stockings only in our house...

princessnumber2 Tue 13-Nov-12 12:48:40

Thank you everyone. I was happily planning to give her a white board and various bits of office equipment (along with some more fun stuff of course) but had a bit of a wobble when friends mentioned buying new bikes for their kids (who have perfectly good bikes alreadyconfused)

Thanks for the reassurance.

Isla77 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:09:27

Would she like a desk in her bedroom - if there is the space? As she likes playing offices it might be something she would enjoy having and if you don't buy a typical 6 year old girly one it will be useful for when she is doing serious homework at secondary school level. However, I think just buy what you know she likes and she will be happy. I remember my younger daughter just wanting craft materials as she loved making things so a cardboard box covered with shiny paper was her main present (filled with craft materials of course.) Have a lovely Christmas.

Sounds like she'd want to make her Christmas list up from the Dudley catalogue!

I'm saying this, because I was the same. My favourite game was "Travel Agents" and I enjoyed using my nan's bureau with lots of compartments, filled with travel brochures sneaked out of the travel agency, with special forms, stamps etc.

So I would have enjoyed your ideas very much princess.

You can get loads of stamps, inkpads and coloured card/paper, textured scissors etc and wrap them up for the stocking. I'm sure she'd love it.

I think the one big present is mainly to try and limit them to just THE ONE!

Greige Tue 13-Nov-12 13:29:59

Your whiteboard idea sounds brilliant. Tesco do/did them, we have one that is a week planner that causes serious stationery envy in our friends.

Isla's idea is a good one. I got a desk for Christmas when I was 5 - I loved it. You could fill the drawers with stationery/craft stuff. Mine had tubes of sweets in the drawer. Best Present Ever - still remember it 35 years later!

I wish my DD was a bit more like yours - she wants everything she sees. At least in our house Santa only chooses one or two things from the list!

DewDr0p Tue 13-Nov-12 14:32:35

Why not make her up a hamper/box of office supplies then? Might give it more impact and you could wrap it with lots of ribbons/bows etc?

I love the desk idea too.

Ds asked for a folder (as in a ringbinder) when he was 6... this year he wants an ipod touch grin

iseenodust Tue 13-Nov-12 14:50:45

Don't forget multi-coloured & funny shaped post-its !

fuzzpig Tue 13-Nov-12 14:55:26

What you're planning sounds fab (and I agree on the gadget thing FWIW) - I would've absolutely loved that as a present!

AuntieShirley Tue 13-Nov-12 15:06:48

Father Christmas only does stockings here. I want the credit for any good presents!

princessnumber2 Tue 13-Nov-12 20:21:44

Thanks everyone. You're definitely on the right lines as we gave her a desk and mini office chair from ikea last year. grin

That's a great idea about making a hamper of stuff. She's got the basics but there are always more office supplies wink

And that is so funny about the folder! She asked for the same last year. I guess I should enjoy it before the iPad requests come in smile

Heavymetalmater Tue 13-Nov-12 20:24:44

A big bean bag to sit on when reading may be good. My DC use theirs alot and it is also a nice big gift to unwrap.

fruitcorner Tue 13-Nov-12 20:58:03

I made up a teacher's kit for my dd once, I included easel with whiteboard on one side, whiteboard pens, A4 ringbinder, blu-tack, post -its, a lanyard with laminated card with her name on and some stars/reward chart/ star of the week certificates etc from baker ross - she still plays with it all now

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 13-Nov-12 21:00:00

Father Christmas only brings stockings here too, other gifts are from the senders.

olibeansmummy Tue 13-Nov-12 21:11:56

I would have killed for a whiteboard and whiteboard pens as a child grin my cousin had one when I was 10 and I was soooooo jealous!

princessnumber2 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:26:02

Ooh I LOVE the teacher's kit idea. I was wondering where we would put the whiteboard but an easel is a fab idea.

And beanbag! Why didn't I think of that? She would love that too.

I am so sorted. Thank you everyone smile

fuzzpig Tue 13-Nov-12 21:31:13

When I was about six a neighbour asked me what I wanted for Xmas, I said "a red ring binder with a dinosaur on the front" grin

Neighbour couldn't find one so she wrapped up a plain red binder with a cuddly dinosaur on it smile I was over the moon!

penguinplease Tue 13-Nov-12 21:34:37

I got my little girl a typewriter a few years ago to go with her office things, she still loves it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now