Talk

Advanced search

Lego duplo hospital or melissa & doug wooden castle?

(8 Posts)
duende Mon 12-Nov-12 18:58:14

For a 3.5 year old DS? If your kids have/ had both what has been more popular?
I really like the look of both but can only get one of them....any suggestions? Thank you!

neverquitesure Mon 12-Nov-12 19:21:17

We don't have either, but I have similarly aged children (DD 2.5 and DS who just turned 4)

We have a large Duplo collection and will be adding to it for DD at Christmas. However, DS has just discovered Lego (they have a large box of it at his preschool) and whilst he will still play with the Duplo if it is out, he is Lego all the way now. This happened in the space of a few weeks shock So the moral of the story is DO NOT invest big time in Duplo unless you are a) happy to hand down to a younger sibling/niece/nephew in the next 12 months, or b) have a good plan to ensure he has no prolonged contact with Lego!

I think the castle will have more longevity, especially if it is large enough to accommodate Playmobil figures (which is likely to be the next stage...)

duende Mon 12-Nov-12 19:28:04

Neverquitesure, thanks. I have no way of delaying contact with Lego, he goes to nursery smile
I can't imagine him playing with Lego at the moment, but on the other hand, he was born in August so in a year's time he will be in reception!
May go with the castle....decisions!

VinoEsmeralda Mon 12-Nov-12 19:34:27

I'd go for the Duplo as it goes for a good price on EBay. Also I tend to find the M&D doesn't get played with as much, looks v appealing to an adult though

mollythetortoise Mon 12-Nov-12 19:36:19

i got the M&D castle last year for my then 4.5 yr old ds - the folding one .
It was such a good buy - sturdy, v well made, lots to do with it. I also bought some knights and horses too (not M&D ones but scheider ones).
I must say we have it downstairs and he plays with it every day not always as a castle but as building/house. e.g. He loves scooby doo so often plays scooby doo with it - it has a dungeon so the ghouls get put in there or it is used as a school when my ds plays car school (his cars go to school in the castle- his own invented game!) or his moshi monsters go in it.It really does get used for everything!! My dd age 9 also plays with it too. If your ds likes imaginary play then he will love it.
the drawbridge door did break about two months ago but that was my ds's fault - not really the castles, and it is still in excellent condition other than this . I imagine he'll play with it for a few more years to come.

I don;t think you'll regret the purchase at all

duende Mon 12-Nov-12 20:42:59

Molly, is it the large, deluxe folding one or the fold and go one?
If the larger one, is it massive? (Looks around an annoyingly small living room hmm )

AsYouWish Mon 12-Nov-12 21:01:26

We've got loads of duplo (mostly handed down, plus the big zoo as a christmas pressie last year) and the melissa and doug folding castle. DS (5) and DD (3) do love playing with Duplo but the castle is fantastic - the fact that it opens out is great, it's not too big, definitely not massive. It is the only toy that's left 'on display' in our lounge once the kids are in bed but that doesn't matter 'cos it looks so cute. DCs use playmobil figures with it.

So, a vote for the castle from me. He'll be onto to real lego in no time...

Myneaux Tue 13-Nov-12 09:35:55

We have both but castle gets my vote too.....although if you do decide on Duplo can I recommend you also get one of the base plates. They are £££ for a bit of flat plastic but we find our DS (also 3.5) plays with his Duplo much more now...it makes it easier to build more complex structures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now