Talk

Advanced search

Xmas - how much do you spend on your child's friends?

(12 Posts)
Madmog Mon 12-Nov-12 14:18:38

Just wondering how much others spend on their child's friends for Xmas.

My daughter is now in comprehensive school and is lucky to have her three best friends in her tutor group, so will obviously buy for them. She's starting to get to know some others, been to a party, going to someone's house for tea (she talks about this girl quite a bit) and there's another girl she talks about an awful lot, so was thinking about buying a little something for them as well, but it all adds up!

Durab Mon 12-Nov-12 14:24:48

Really? Nothing! If she has her own money and wants to spend it on them then OK, I suppose, but I wouldn't start that and I wouldn't thank you for starting it if you were my DC's friend's mother.

Please someone tell me this would be really unusual. Maybe a best friend, but surely not a list?

izzywizzyisbizzy Mon 12-Nov-12 14:25:34

nothing, if they want to buy for their friends comes from pocket money (for teens)

dizzydixies Mon 12-Nov-12 14:26:17

Nothing! They have their own family to get gifts from and birthdays throughout the year are expensive enough.

Ragwort Mon 12-Nov-12 14:28:21

Agree with everyone else - nothing grin.

Present giving can get totally out of hand, don't become part of it.

insanityscratching Mon 12-Nov-12 14:31:48

Dd used to use her pocket money to buy for her friends and they did the same. Usually tube of sweets, large bar of chocolate, fluffy socks, something from Body Shop. I'd say she spent no more than £2 per person.
Smaller dd usually makes something for her friends like a candy cane mouse or a cracker with a Lindt teddy in.

poshfrock Mon 12-Nov-12 14:36:39

My daughter likes to give presents to her 2 best friends. We usually make something together- last year it was schoolbags to match my daughter's ( which I had also made). The year before it was scarves - also homemade. My 2 sons don't bother.

I do also buy/make presents for my ex-OH's kids with his second wife as they are my son's half-siblings. Some people think that's weird. Is it weird ? I'm quite close to them ( they call me Auntie "Posh") and the eldest told me he wanted me to be his step-mum ( which would of course require me remarrying my ex - now that would be weird).

Nothing. If they want to when they are older with their own money do be it but I'm not buying for friends.

DoubleMum Mon 12-Nov-12 16:35:54

Nothing, although mine are still at primary school.

Madmog Tue 13-Nov-12 14:37:03

I suppose I got into the habit of buying for her friends as all three girls have been regular visitors for 7 years and I've got to know all their Mums either socially or through work. Even though they've moved to comp all three of them turn up on our doorstep every day school days without fail (unless they are ill). Also, I know this is a general thing in the area. Think I might just buy a small token gift for the new friends shehas, they have 3 mini chocolate santas for £1.20 in Tescos.

My dds tend to get together in a group with their friends and do Secret Santa, so they all buy and get one present each at about a tenner. Prior to that, we did small gifts for their friends, like a home decorated picture frame, or pretty boxes filled with sweets etc.

exoticfruits Tue 13-Nov-12 21:57:00

I would just leave it to her-don't get involved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now