Talk

Advanced search

The best xmas ad this year and years gone by........

(14 Posts)
CPtart Sun 11-Nov-12 17:21:13

Just seen the John Lewis xmas ad for this year where the snowman travels far and wide to buy hat, scarf and gloves for his female lady-love. Fabulous!

Just got me thinking of other great xmas ads of years gone by....care to share yours?

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sun 11-Nov-12 17:42:27

I personally love the christmas irn bru one. It's a parody of The Snowman. grin

Also love the Coca Cola advert. Always makes me feel like decorating the tree and wrapping the presents there and then.

DoubleMum Sun 11-Nov-12 17:45:51

I love the John Lewis one, but can't believe they spent £6 million on it!

XBenedict Sun 11-Nov-12 17:47:28

Irn Bru one is also my favourite - "he let go of my hand........"

XBenedict Sun 11-Nov-12 17:48:34

John Lewis one is lovely but it does remind me of the weeping angels in Dr Who

Hulababy Sun 11-Nov-12 17:49:48

Lovely JL ad - but £6m!!!

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sun 11-Nov-12 17:58:36

I can't decide if I like the JL one. I find the snowman a bit creepy- very much like the Angels on Dr Who. shock at the advert costing £6m!

"I tell him get your own! He looks like he is going to cry!/he nicked my irn bru and let go of my hand!" doesn't matter how many times i see the advert i still grin And crave irn bru.

I used to love the ads of the seventies. When gluttony and obscene wealth was aspirational. grin

Like the Cointreau ads....The ice melts...flirt, flirt...

And all the aftershave ads, Brut, Denim, Old Spice.

God I bet my dad used to dread opening his present, another stinky Brut soap on a rope box set!

Jojoba1986 Sun 11-Nov-12 19:47:04

It's just not Christmas until I see the Coca-Cola advert! grin

Yama Sun 11-Nov-12 19:49:23

Aye, the Irn Bru one is guid.

Yama Sun 11-Nov-12 19:52:25

Binfull - I will always remember the Christmas (1988 or 89) when my Mum looked at our Christmas tree with all the presents underneath and exclaimed it was all "so opulent!" It became her 'thing' to feel the guilt that the rest of us should've had.

SantasComingFace Sun 11-Nov-12 20:17:58

I love the JL one, has anyone seen the waitrose one? I was a bit hmm at that one as I was wondering if DS and HB did it for free. <cynical>

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 11-Nov-12 20:22:00

The Waitrose one a couple of years back- the lady hanging the wreath and the little girl waiting for her dad.
There was loads of controversy about it because it featured a soldier coming home (then there was a photographer in a Chinoook helicopter)
Then they changed it to a man protecting a teddy bear under his coat.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 11-Nov-12 20:28:45

Just watched the Irn Bru one on You Tube

grin grin grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now