Talk

Advanced search

What pressie for an 8 year old boy?

(20 Posts)
Frontpaw Sun 11-Nov-12 11:59:06

He wants 'everything' apparently. Then 'nothing' because he couldn't decide.

Whaty are you getting your eight year old boys this year?

DottyDot Sun 11-Nov-12 12:32:52

We're getting our 8 year old a bucket of lego as he's suddenly re-discovered it and is having a flurry of building activity; probably a radio alarm clock with a docking station for his ipod touch. If he didn't already have an ipod touch that would be a good present as he loves his. Then probably some football related stuff as he's football obsessed... hmm

Plus a Horrible Histories annual, the latest Tom Gates book and possibly a United top but I'm not 100% sure about that as we're City fans grin

Frontpaw Sun 11-Nov-12 12:35:39

Ipod touch? Speak to me!

ptangyangkipperbang Sun 11-Nov-12 12:58:45

Please could you tell me about Tom Gates books. Are they like Wimpy Kid?
My 8 year old DS is getting Lego, Wimpy Kid 3 DVD, Lego wii remote, Beast Quest books, Match annual and football boots that cost £6 when jjb closed.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sun 11-Nov-12 13:00:13

Guinness world records book

MirandaWest Sun 11-Nov-12 13:04:26

According to DS (very nearly 9) Tom Gates books are much better than Wimpy Kid (although he'd still like the latest Wimpy Kid book that's out next week grin). Tom gates has better drawings in and is funnier and also set in England (all points which DS likes).

As its his birthday soon I have no idea about Christmas and neither does he although for his birthday he is getting a watch, Guinness book of records, an electronics set, more Lego probably and other things. He'd probably like an iPod touch (actually he'd probably like an iPad grin) but I think I'll leave it a bit for that and he can keep borrowing mine smile

5madthings Sun 11-Nov-12 13:15:36

lego hero is very popular for this age.

yes to guinness book of record and we also have a book of gross facts that mine like!

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-12 13:30:25

Scooter & Minecraft Lego (probalby shouldn't say that, you'll all go out & get it & will sell out).

Tom Gates assessment sounds about right. 11yo Dd (more mature) likes them better than Wimpy Kid.

DottyDot Sun 11-Nov-12 13:43:49

Ooh yes Guinness book of records is on ds's list as well. He loves Tom Gates books - very funny, very easy to read and better than Wimpy Kid apparently.

Ds saved his money last year to buy an iPod touch and loves it. He uses it mainly to play games and he'll send me the odd message. I love being able to FaceTime him if I'm away (you can message and FaceTime, which is like Skype, between iPod touches and iPhones for free). 11 year old ds1 has also got one and uses his to message his friends much more.

BardOfBarking Sun 11-Nov-12 13:47:50

My ds 8 got heelies last year - just as they were going out of fashion but he adores them still. This year he is getting a 3D DS for his birthday and some hexbug habitats for christmas. GPs buying him a basketball hoop. Aunts and Uncles clubbing for Skylander for Wii. He would love an ipod touch but I don't know enough about it and I wouldn't want him having internet access where I can't supervise it. (Don't know if you can disable that - bit thick emoticon)

overmydeadbody Sun 11-Nov-12 13:48:33

Tom Gates books are fab.

Also Lego. You can't go wrong with LEgo.

DottyDot Sun 11-Nov-12 17:22:04

OK, lastly, the 8 year old is also getting a remote controlled helicopter - I'd forgotten about this one - must remember to buy one as it's top of his list grin

CPtart Sun 11-Nov-12 17:26:20

Skylanders Giants (apparently!)

fruitcorner Sun 11-Nov-12 17:27:58

Nerf guns

phoebus Sun 11-Nov-12 17:40:27

Interested mum of 8 yr old boy marking place here....(I was thinking about getting him a Nexus 7 - yes I know, very expensive for a child, but it would be his only present and we'd ask all the relatives to chip in with cash towards it instead of more Lego etc.....because I think he'd absolutely love it, and you can apparently put parental controls onto it)...

- but I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has reasons why they might think that might be a bad idea for an 8 yr old (cost aside)...? We'd monitor and limit his time on it carefully.

DottyDot Sun 11-Nov-12 17:49:20

Hi - don't know what a Nexus 7 is - if it's a phone we wouldn't have gone for that as we've said no phones until secondary school (which our year 6 11 year old is not happy with!) but if it's like an ipad I don't see why not. The ipod touch is essentially just that only smaller - we've got tons of parental controls on and they both love theirs.

Taffeta Sun 11-Nov-12 17:58:06

Ds just got an ipod touch for his
9th birthday. Wifi, internet disabled, easy. He adores it, has lots of games either free or 69p, a few more expensive ones like minecraft and FIFA plus loads of my itunes I synced over. Great product.

phoebus Sun 11-Nov-12 17:58:46

Not a phone (he's still too young for that, imo) it's a small tablet produced by Google and Asus; has camera, Skype, games eg. free Angry Birds, can also be an e-book reader, has Google Earth, maps, internet etc. The experts in places like Currys tell me that it's loads better than the Kindle Fire. I'm a bit of a technophobe so a steep learning curve for me!

ptangyangkipperbang Sun 11-Nov-12 18:09:57

Thanks for the Tom Gates info. They are now on DS' list!

Frontpaw Sun 11-Nov-12 18:36:47

Guiness Book etc half price at Waterstones (so a tenner). Went around Harrods for inspiration today - what a pile of crap! Loads less toys and far more 'lifestyle' items (I kid you not) things - so v v expensive clothes, cosmetics and shoes etc (plus ecpensive items for Mr Fuffy and Mrs Kitty in the mad persons pet department).

Someone got a remote controlled helicopter and flew it indoors after being told not to. Straight into the wall right above the new tv. It just smashed and slid down the wall, with the blades and tail hanging off. Well, that was definately worth the price for a whole one minute's worth on entertainment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now