Talk

Advanced search

Feeding the Christmas cake....with what, how and when?!

(12 Posts)
tory79 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:01:53

This is the first year I am going to be baking s Christmas cake! Planning to do it on nov 25th.

I am following the Mary berry recipe, which uses brandy, but it's not very clear on the feedIng process. How often do you feed a cake, HOW do you feed it and how much brandy would I use each time?

Also, does it matter if it's cheap brandy?!

Thank you!!

Hi, I'm into the third week of feeding. I've made 3 Deliah cakes.

I have a cheap Spanish brandy from Lidl! I keep it for soaking fruit and cooking. It's absolutely fine.

I have used rum and whiskey in the past. Anything to preserve the cake and keep it moist.

I still use the same method from 6th form Home Ec. Poke holes gently with a skewer all around the top of the cake. I use about half a tea cup of brandy and once the holes are made pour tiny amounts into/over them.

I wrap the cake in two sheets of baking paper, and a layer of foil, then pack into a snug cake tin. (side with the alcohol poured on it facing up).

Then the next time I feed, I turn the cake upside-down and feed the other side.

DH offered to bring home a syringe from work, haven't taken him up on that yet. I suppose you could use a small baster!

Sorry not tea cup.....EGG cup.

grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 11-Nov-12 13:11:50

Tea cup/Egg cup

<<Taps side of nose knowingly>>

Of course it's a egg-cup Binfull , of course it is. wink

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Sun 11-Nov-12 13:17:31

Exactly as above.

A cake fed on half a tea cup of brandy a week from now to Christmas would be lethal come the day grin, haven't people been arrestedd for being over the limit after eating Christmas cake before?

Was it yours Binfull? wink

Well I did wonder why all the parents were so jolly in the school festival last Christmas... blush

vamosbebe Sun 11-Nov-12 18:30:18

I feed my cake one shot of brandy (cheapest Spanish brandy, but then I do live here!) once a week, usually Sunday afternoon. Shot for the cake, shot for me smile
I made it at the end of October, as always, so it should be pretty soused by Christmas Day.

vamos lucky for me I don't like the taste of the neat brandy I'm using in the cake....!!

But that didn't stop me enjoying a good glug of sherry out of the bottle whilst making the chicken gravy today....then noticing two elderly dog walkers stood watching me through the kitchen door!!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 11-Nov-12 18:37:32

Fed on brandy as often as I remember can be faffed to unwrap the bloody things on as much as glugs out on that occasion. Domestic goddess, me.

ArthurShappey Sun 11-Nov-12 19:13:13

My cake has just come out of the oven... I'm looking forward to feeding it! grin

Taffeta Sun 11-Nov-12 21:30:19

I use Sainsbo's French Brandy. A capful a week, with said holes in cake. Turn it over each week so it gets a feed a different side each time.

I make mine end Oct as we start it mid Dec.

NotGoodNotBad Sun 11-Nov-12 21:49:09

Hmm, never turned mine over in all the years I've been making Christmas cakes. Will try it this year and compare smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now