Talk

Advanced search

Christmassy family traditions... what do you do?

(19 Posts)
Grockle Sat 10-Nov-12 19:28:50

We make reindeer food, christmas cakes, christmas pudding, watch christmas films and go to the christingle service. On christmas Eve, the elves deliver pyjamas & a book for DS.

What else can we do in the run-up to christmas day (or on the days after)? I want to make this christmas super-special and lovely for DS as he's had a rough year.

fuzzpig Sat 10-Nov-12 19:54:28

Hello you grin

I'm trying to go for simple stuff that won't put much pressure on. Am obsessed with the Xmas board as I really want a nice Xmas after such a shitty year!

Xmas eve we will have a hamper from the elves with jammies, maybe snowman soup stuff, Xmas DVD and a cuddly toy to go to bed with. They also each get a new tree decoration.

Stockings in our bed - for all four of us this year.

Nice breakfast like pancakes if I can persuade DH to make them!

Would like to have a walk sometime on the day but given the state of our health I am not sure that's such a good plan hmm

I'm really hoping to do lots more cooking and crafts in the lead up to Xmas - maybe make some gifts like decorating plates and making chocolates, maybe salt dough decorations or candle holder for the table, pomanders, that kind of thing. Again, nothing massively strenuous because I don't want to set the bar too high IYSWIM!

One thing we are starting this year is a DVD hamper. This will be a box with lots of new, non-xmassy movies and cartoons. We are DVD mad in this house! Lots of snuggles on the sofa with popcorn smile

How about a pantomime or Christmas show between Christmas and the New Year?

There are some amazing films coming up soon, Rise of the Guardians, Nativity 2, Wreck it Ralph. So a nice trip out for a Christmas movie, followed by a huge mug of hot choc in a cosy coffee shop?

tootssweet Sat 10-Nov-12 20:04:30

Go to the panto - good cheesy fun. We are looking for a Santa steam train special to take dcs on! Making decorations are fun & just spending time together playing with all those fab new toys! Looking forward to it

toots in Okehampton they are having a Polar Express themed train for Christmas.

I can also recommend the Watercress Line in Hampshire.

Grockle Sat 10-Nov-12 20:13:58

Oh yes, we always go to the panto too... we go for my birthday as I don't associate it with christmas blush

Christmas film at the cinema is a good idea- last year we saw Arthur Christmas & it was fab.

<waves to fuzzpig> We have the same idea - I need easy things that will be lovely & not too expensive. It's my birthday, DPs, step-fathers & my Mum's 60th over christmas so we have lots going on. We usually do a walk in the forest to find a Yule log but, like you, I'm not sure we'll manage it. Since alcohol seems to help, I'm going to make lots of mulled wine.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Doshusallie Sat 10-Nov-12 20:13:59

We usually do a Christmas eve drinks party but no-one can make it this year...so we are going to a local santa's grotto in the morning, and to the church service at 4pm to sing carols. I can't wait.

Grockle Sat 10-Nov-12 20:14:51

Ooo, I live near the Watercress line but have never been on it. Is it worth it? DS is 7, so I think this might be his last year - he's already a doubter

44SoStartingOver Sat 10-Nov-12 20:19:01

Without fail, we always make time for a row while we assemble barbies houses/bikes etc.

It is as important as the ritual where I pack for our holidays and dh tells me they bags won't fit in the car and always do.

And as reliable as the tradition where someone always throws up on the way to every wedding.

We are a very happy unit!

Grockle it's more of a nice day out really, and the atmostphere of the steam train passing through the frosty Hampshire countryside. I don't think half of the kids really believe the Santa is real.

Also, you can explore the engine sheds and sometimes ride on the drivers cab of the diesels if they are running.

Nearby Winchester has an amazing Market, ice rink etc?

Is Marwell open around Christmas? They used to do some nice activities.

I've moved to Switzerland now so I'm not so uptodate with Hampshire life!!

CMOTDibbler Sat 10-Nov-12 20:50:49

Birmingham christmas market, panto on Christmas eve followed by hot choc/cream/marshmallows then the christingle service, MN secret santa (ds really enjoys doing this), making cakes for school christmas fete, visit the tree place to see the reindeer/fc and get a tree.
This year we'll deliver a present to the greyhound rescue, do some cakes for the RDA group, and hopefully go snow tubing at the snowdome.

Grockle Sat 10-Nov-12 20:52:19

Marwell is open - we looked at that last christmas but it came to £60+ so we didn't go. The Watercress line sounds lovely. I think I'll book it. Winchester is also lovely, especially at this time of year. We went ice skating there last year for DP's birthday. The market was pretty but full of tourists who make me cross!

We will make sure we have our usual rows - my sister & I will drink whilst cooking then bicker when it's all ready & going on the table. DP will do much eye-rolling when we go to get our tree - I spend ages hunting for the perfect one & he doesn't see the difference between any of them.

MrsBovary Sat 10-Nov-12 20:57:50

Nutcracker ballet (two this year!)
Hot chocolate, Christmas pyjamas, a book (we buy vintage annuals for the older dc, which they love).

Then traditional Christmas Eve ghost stories for dh and I, the BBC usually cater for this.

OohMrDarcy Sat 10-Nov-12 21:00:55

We are doing marwell, it doesn't work out cheap - but it includes a day in the park (which is always fab that time of year - used to have passes and always went over christmas)

it also includes 1.5 hrs of activities - with elves / mrs claus etc before seeing the big guy

If you work out the cost to just visit the park its not that much more really

Snog Sat 10-Nov-12 21:10:01

You should go ice skating and drink hot chocolate
And do something for a charity
And make a few decorations for the house/the gps

Do Marwell still do the deal - buy the insulated mug and get free refills around the park?

My husband nearly bankrupted them.

DH (Sahd) and DS are planning loads of woodland walks, taking marshmallows and having fires. They will collect some pine cones for the table decorations etc. Nothing fancy, but they are both really excited about it.

If you are in the area, the Alice Holt forest used to be lovely for that.

Gosh, feeling a bit homesick now...

Grockle Sat 10-Nov-12 21:34:01

Yes, they do! We make the most of that deal!

OohMrDarcy Sat 10-Nov-12 21:45:07

We love our mugs!

How about a walk around the winchester market / ice skating by the cathedral?

Grockle Sat 10-Nov-12 22:04:55

Might do that - even better if we can do it the same day as the farmer's market. Thank you.

Lovely suggestions. DS has already requested christmas music so we'll do that tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now