Talk

Advanced search

Help with present ideas 3yo Boy

(9 Posts)
Kelly281 Sat 10-Nov-12 15:50:44

I'm hoping you wonderful MNetters can give me some ideas for a 3yo boy?

I'm finding it difficult to choose something for him. He's a quieter boy, not into rough & tumble or sport. He's also not speaking yet, so trying to avoid any games that might need conversation etc.

His birthday is 23rd December and we've been told he likes pirates, so he's likely to be overwhelmed with pirate toys before Xmas day.

Budget £20, although willing to go up to £30 if required.

Thanks for any help!

Fivemoreminutesmummy Sat 10-Nov-12 16:02:32

Early learning centre have some good things- my son recently got a jigsaw with large pieces that he loved. He also loves trains (Thomas the tank), Spider-Man and diggers. A dressing up outfit of Spider-Man or bob the builder maybe? Good luck, sure he'll love anything.

CailinRua Sat 10-Nov-12 16:56:32

I have 2 boys (aged 5 and 3) and a house with far too many toys, lots of which they never look at. Things which they have enjoyed and continue to enjoy are a toy garage and cars, wooden train set, farm set and Noah's ark (both Fisherprice Little People) and several bit of Happyland (from ELC). I would really recommend the Happyland rocket in particular and it costs around £30 but there is usually a code for 20% floating around. My boys have always seemed to enjoy little people, animals etc. and they can be mixed and matched, e,g the spaceman can be found driving the tractor etc.

Other single items which have been a great success and provided hours of fun are a pop up tent, a tunnel, a marble run and a large car transporter lorry holding cars.

CailinRua Sat 10-Nov-12 16:58:16

Meant to also say - stick to early learning centre or fisherprice and you'll not go far wrong!

Kelly281 Sat 10-Nov-12 17:46:25

Thanks for your ideas, happyland rocket sounds good. I think he'd enjoy a marble run too. He's very patient and is happiest sitting playing away himself, rather than board games etc with his brother.

Thanks again!

3bunnies Sat 10-Nov-12 18:10:14

Tescos always have cheap wooden train tracks (10 pounds for starter set) and add on bits - like bridges etc. V popular with my ds, he loves that, lego and Mr Potato heads.

MegBusset Sat 10-Nov-12 18:18:52

Lego Duplo by far the most popular toy for my 3yo, train set is a great idea too.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 10-Nov-12 20:32:16

You can buy 'convertible' books - I bought my friend's 3 yo son and my DN a fire engine one and I think there's a pirate one too. It's a big board book with a story - which then folds out to a road map type thing for running toy cars along - but also folds and velcros into a fire engine shape they can sit in. Both recipients loved them and they were surprisingly durable. I got mine from Amazon.

FossilMum Sat 10-Nov-12 20:42:35

Another big vote for Duplo. Also Connecta Straws, but only if he (or a younger sibling) wouldn't put the little bits in his mouth. Jigsaws. Simple sticky mosaics (though can only be used once) such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-First-Sticky-Mosaics-Vehicles/dp/B001RPWM7Q/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1352580002&sr=8-12. A digger toy with working bucket that can be used to pick up smaller toys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now