Talk

Advanced search

What to get 6yo ds for Christmas?

(14 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Sat 10-Nov-12 10:26:17

I have no idea what to get ds1 for Christmas. I have got him some books but that's it.

He hates arty/crafty stuff. Has more than enough Lego, Playmobil, toy cars. Has a bike. Has enough Nerf guns (and playing with them always ends in tears). He has a DS so I could get a game for that, but I was hoping to encourage a non-screen form of entertainment.

If I ask what he would like he says 'a football', but he has 2 and has no need of more. He would love table football but we don't have room.

Could do tickets for something, but I reckon that would be a bit disappointing for a small child on Christmas Day itself. I'm sure he'd prefer something to play with there and then.

Any ideas welcomed!

lljkk Sat 10-Nov-12 10:44:36

Games to a pro football match? Friendlies are often more family-friendly than regular season fixtures. Football kit?

Scooter?

MrsJohnDeere Sat 10-Nov-12 10:49:21

Dh takes him to rugby matches every few weeks and gets free tickets for football matches through work so that's not so special (am aware that this makes ds1 sound like a spoilt brat!).

No to scooter. He would like one, but there isn't really anywhere to use one where we live. We're in a village with few/no pavements, and other nearby parks we go to don't allow them or are grassy rather than Tarmac so they don't work. They're banned at school too.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 10-Nov-12 10:51:36

He has mentioned Skylanders but mainly because some friends have them. He has no idea what they are, mind you,

No to Moshi Monsters too - has seen it but isn't interested ('it's for girls' said in voice of utter contempt).

LowLevelWhinging Sat 10-Nov-12 10:55:35

Some things that have been successful in this house (my boys are 5 and 7):

Torch or head torch (for reading in bed)
Binoculars (Early Learning Centre type)
Spy kit
Cuddly hot water bottle
Cheapy cross bow style thing with like big nerf darts - was massively successful with kids and adults on Christmas Day. They were mostly broken by Boxing Day grin
Activity books with stickers and puzzles in.

LowLevelWhinging Sat 10-Nov-12 10:56:17

my kids LOVE skylanders.

LuellaLovesLavendar Sat 10-Nov-12 15:31:31

A knights castle with figurines to go with it! Melissa and Doug does a nice one which I got my ds 6 for Christmas and I know he will get hours of play out of it. I also got books, DVDs, gumball dispenser, globe, drawing pads and colouring pencils etc.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 10-Nov-12 18:13:10

We have a Playmobil Knights Castle. In fact ds2 (4yo) is getting a couple of small sets to go with it as his present this year. Has been played with lots over the last 2/3 years.

heavyheartedfarted Sat 10-Nov-12 18:32:58

I have a ds 6 and agree with lowlevel,torch and binoculars great for den building and playing,what about a small pop up style tent and sleeping bag for in the garden in the summer and bedroom for now,my son loves sitting in tents/dens/
An illusion /magic /science set
dressing up,soldier/knight etc
marble run
desk,clipboard ,pens
skateboard
magnetix
skalextric
bop it -all my dc love this

altinkum Sat 10-Nov-12 18:44:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Sat 10-Nov-12 18:46:05

altinkum Sat 10-Nov-12 18:48:41

MrsJohnDeere Sat 10-Nov-12 18:50:34

Wow - altinkum, can't get over how much stuff your ds is getting shock

altinkum Sat 10-Nov-12 18:58:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now