Talk

Advanced search

New and exciting ideas for a starter?

(3 Posts)
CunningPlan Sat 10-Nov-12 08:35:00

We don't go mad here with a mutant turkey, so we always have a starter. Smoked salmon and prawns have been done to death, although i had considere curing some fresh salmon with beetroot and vodka.

FIL won't eat crab and my DM doesn't like pâté. DH is obsessed with soup, but I can't help thinking that its a bit "meh".

Any bright ideas for a lovely starter?

CarpeJugulum Sat 10-Nov-12 08:38:55

We do a hot smoked salmon mousse?

Just hot smoked salmon well shredded and mixed with cream cheese (we add in capers and lemon juice then wrap in cold smoked salmon. Serve with salad.

Love it as it's a prepare before and leave job!

moajab Sat 10-Nov-12 09:48:58

I often do a smoked salmon roulade, although it can also be made with parma ham if you want a change from salmon! It can be made a day in advance and can be a bit time consuming, but in small bursts (you do a bit, then leave it, then come back to it etc.) It looks stunning cut into pieces and served on some lettuce with lemon wedges. It looks like it's really complicated to make, but is actually not at all hard. And it is very tasty - every time I make it I'm sure it's going to taste like a cold, soggy omlette. But somehow it's delicious!

Recipe here - Mary Berry's Roulade

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now