Talk

Advanced search

Christmas ice rinks in London

(6 Posts)
TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Fri 09-Nov-12 22:54:39

Both DSs are desperate to go ice skating this Christmas. Natural History Museum, Somerset House or Hampton Court are all nearby. DS1 is 7 and DS2 is almost 4 and I'm just wondering if any of these rinks are more suitable for younger children than the others?

NigellasGuest Fri 09-Nov-12 22:57:29

I don't exactly know but have you seen this?
www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com

TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Fri 09-Nov-12 23:12:36

Thanks NigellasGuest but I think I'd prefer to take them somewhere where skating is the main attraction.

MegBusset Sat 10-Nov-12 08:50:56

I took DH to the Natural History Museum ice rink a few years back and they had a small kids' rink next to the main one DH spent the whole session clinging to the edge of the kids' rink being lapped by six-year-olds

Somerset House is the prettiest imo but not sure if they have a children's rink too.

fruitcorner Sat 10-Nov-12 09:30:43

We took our kids skating at 8,7 and 4 ( nit in UK) The 7 year old was fine, they usually have penguins/other wooden things to push round the ice to help the younger youngs. I think you might need to reserve these at the London rinks.
Does anyone know whether it's ok skating when it's not very cold, does it get slushy/wet? I have only skated in very cold country.

ChippyMinton Sat 10-Nov-12 09:57:06

I've only been to HC, so not sure if this is the same at all the rinks. They have timed sessions, so everyone starts together being rubbish and gains confidence by the end of the hour, which worked quite well. I think they have pre-bookable penguins, but better still is booking a guide to take the DC round and give them some instruction.

Windsor usually has a rink too, which is pretty, near the river with castle in the background.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now