Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a toddler-friendly Christmas tree?

(11 Posts)
TimeForLunch Fri 09-Nov-12 10:49:04

DS is about to turn 2. Like most toddlers, he is into everything! I know he would not be able to resist pulling things off a Christmas tree and risk pulling the whole thing down on top of himself. Last year we had a table top tree which was fine, but now he can climb onto the table so nothing is out of reach. We don't have much space either, so need to consider that.

The only solution I can think of is a wall sticker tree, but it doesn't seem very festive! Does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks.

bamboobutton Fri 09-Nov-12 10:50:42

bang a nail/picture hook in the wall and tie the tree to it.

thats what we are planning to do this year, we have a 2yo and 4yo.

SoupDragon Fri 09-Nov-12 10:57:23

Er... stop him climbing on the table for starters!

The only concessions I made to toddlers were
a) only put unbreakable ornaments on the bottom part of the tree
b) Attach the tree to the wall so it couldn't be pulled over

None of my three have ever destroyed the tree (and they aren't angels by a long long way!).

OverlyWordyHurdyGurdy Fri 09-Nov-12 11:05:08

There are some great ideas on Pinterest for felt trees to go on the wall - like a giant fuzzy felt game with decorations they can move around and play with. We're planning to have one of those as DS' tree, to discourage him from fiddling with the main one.

Mousefunk Fri 09-Nov-12 11:23:20

You can put a guard around it, or get him his own little one with child friendly baubles in hope to detract him from the real one (but I don't see it happening- imagine being a toddler and theres a huge glittering tree vs a tiny tree with a few felt baubles which will you go for??)

Last year I had a 21 month old and 6 month old who had just started crawling, aside from one bauble being pulled off neither went near it- they just weren't bothered. We have a big real tree with lights and tons of baubles but it just wasn't of interest <shrug> I suspect this year with them being 2.9 and 18 months next month it will be a different story but I will just pull them away and tell them no until their ears bleed they get the point!

Just make sure you don't have breakable baubles!!

Kethryveris Fri 09-Nov-12 11:24:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JammySplodger Fri 09-Nov-12 11:26:12

We secured ours to the wall too, and just accepted the lower decorations might come off occasionally. DS loved the novelty of having a tree in the house but soon got distracted by new things.

pictish Fri 09-Nov-12 11:26:20

The NO tree?

I've been through three toddlerhoods, and honestly have never had a problem with them pulling at the tree.
The trick is to involve them with decorating the lower branches, and then telling him 'now don't touch it or it will fall off' then repeating yourself if he looks like he's tempted to have a tug.
Even a morning of NO will do it. Your tree should remain largely unmolested.

JammySplodger Fri 09-Nov-12 11:27:56

We keep all the presents hidden till they're in bed on Christmas Eve. I can handle the tree getting slightly played with / trashed but the wrapping would just be too much of a temptation for our two.

BeatTheClock Fri 09-Nov-12 11:31:49

I bought something like this one year when my dc were small. It's a bit strange, sort of half a tree, but it was a bit safer because it wasn't so easy to pull over. I had dts who were into everything at the time.

TimeForLunch Fri 09-Nov-12 16:57:52

Thanks for all the suggestions, there are some great ideas here. Hopefully we will be able to have a tree after all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now