Talk

Advanced search

Fake snow

(5 Posts)
tallwivglasses Thu 08-Nov-12 23:48:00

Hi, I'm a lurker round these parts. hope you don't mind me butting in. I'm organising a multi-sensory Christmas / Winter-themed party for children, many of them disabled. I'd love a sandpit filled with fake snow (and trucks, tobogganists, trees, etc. Does anyone know what the bought stuff's like (and where I can buy it cheap) or should I make it myself? How?

And while we're on the subject, any other sensory ideas would be welcome. I've found a lovely cinnamon star decoration recipe and a strawberries and a cream and cookie santa. I'm sure there must be loads of others!

BabyDubsEverywhere Fri 09-Nov-12 00:17:29

I had fake snow last year for my DD birthday party. I filled one end of the conservatory about 2 inch thick in a 4m square area for around £50.00. The snow came in two A4 size (and about 2inch width) bags that i had to divide into about 10 bin bags and keep adding water. It was decent stuff from a special effects company, but I cant find the link sorry.

We had carpet down, it would have been dangerous otherwise. If you use a paddling pool it may be too slippy, the kids will be flying all over the place. We had to throw the carpet away afterward, just couldnt get the stuff out. We had a snowball fight with the stuff and where it splashed onto woodern units it stripped the varnish, stripped colour out of clothes!

In truth it took us weeks to clean the place up afterwards as we just kept finding it everywhere and it looked really manky after all the kids (and adults) had been trudging it through the house. But honestly it was so damn magical seeing my childrens faces when they saw a house full of snow that it was totally worth it! Ill try and post a pic on my profile. Best birthday party ever smile

tallwivglasses Fri 09-Nov-12 01:27:58

BabyDubs, thanks. I was thinking of sandpits on table level!

Can I come to one of your parties? smile

Startail Fri 09-Nov-12 01:47:42

Cloud dough. basicly flour and oil. 8:1

Some on linked it on the toddle Xmas craft thread.

A lot of the recipes use baby oil, but one link says this is a bad idea if eaten.

My DDs are far too old and far far far too messy ( 3 teens, icing sugar and a ginger bread house) so I haven't tried it, but it looks fun.

Awakeagain Fri 09-Nov-12 02:15:58

Hi
I got some as a gift for my god daughters from
Home bargains, was 99p
Also seen some at the range for a similar price - no idea how good either are but worth a try for 99p
Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now